Dual sport conversion In Florida?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dual sport conversion In Florida?

I have a buddy that has a CRF 450 '03. He lives here in long Island N.Y. and wants to convert his bike into a dual sport but the problem is in N.Y. You can not do it. Here is the catch, He also owns a home in Florida. He was just wondering If he uses his address in FL. would he be able to register and insure it there? If Florida dose allow conversions then can he transfer the paper work to N.Y. ? Any info on this matter would be great.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Dual sport conversion In Florida?

people do that kinda stuff all the time, i dont see why he cant do it...

Old 09-19-2006, 12:39 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Florida is kind of touchy right now when it comes to registering out of state motorcycles. It is a requirement - depending on where you live - to have the motorcycle so a member of the Tax Collector can inspect it. If there is a plate on it when you take it in for inspection, you should be able to slide through.

If they live in south Florida - I don't think it can be done.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep happened to me Marty, I bought my KLX from an out of state dealer. I had an Ohio Title and tag, when I registeed in Florida I had to bring the bike to the tax/reg office to make sure the vin matched the title.....girl was cute thou.

I think Georgia is not to bad for plating an offroad bike.....But thats second hand info.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I'm not 100% sure about it I dont think it can be done. Before I bought my Klx I was looking at wr450f's and dual sporting them. I was told by several dealers I Would Not beable to register it for use on the street in florida. The things that will kill it is you need a Title and not a manufactors certificate and the Title cant say for Offroad use only. The only way I see doing it is if the bike is Street legal someplace else with a tag you might beable to slide it thru that way. Other then that I dont think it can be done. Let us know if he somehow manages to pull it off, I'd be courious as to how he did it. My 2 cents.....

LV

Old 09-19-2006, 01:43 AM

Vermont will register any bike above 70 cc just send them a copy of your title and they send you back a clean vermont title and plates.You can then keep the vermont plates or register it in your own state.I live in NJ and have done it to a klx 300 and a crf 250 x.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Dose he need a place of residence in Vermont? Can he do it through online or the mail? ..... THANKs

Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 AM

NO vermont dosnt care were you live i think they just want your money,i always talked by phone then mailed it in.By the way the the dmv is done by all inmates.Ive seen alot of crf supermotards in nj with vermont plates.