Drilling Hole in exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Drilling Hole in exhaust.

Hi guys,

This is my first post here,

I have just got myself an 07 KLX 250. I am still breaking her in but am at the stage of opening her up a little.

I am going to use this bike to commute to work and have a little fun on the weekends. I like how smooth the bike is through the gears and like how light it feels.

However I am a little dissapointed with the stock top speed I am getting.

The speed limit of the highway here in Perth Australia is 110kmph which is abotu 68miles an hour. As stock I am struggling to get the bike to 62 miles or 100kmh.

It really means full open throttle to get there and the bike seems to be finding it hard to stay at that speed. I do need to use the highway to get to work but its not a huge percentage of the trip.

So I am looking to get a little more top speed.

I have looked through the forums at the mods but I am not overly confident on doing them without pictures.

My question is, If i open up the air box which I am not 100% sure what you guys mean when you say that, then maybe drill a hole in the exhaust muffler, will that help get a little more power?

As I said I would really like to see a picture of where to drill etc so I dont do anything stupid :P

Overall I am pretty happy so far, except for the slight lack of power.

On another note, anyone had problems getting traffic lights to change at night? The light here use pressure plates as I am sure they do elsewhereto change the light to green. I was waiting at a few sets of lights tonight without cars present and they wouldnt change hehe. I had to wait till a car came to trip the plate. Perhaps the pressure plate is not registering enough weight?

I know I am a noob and I will very much appreciate any advice or link that can help me.

Thanks in advance..

Glen

Old 03-17-2007, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Drilling Hole in exhaust.

Hi I never messed with drilling the exhuast out I just put a system on it....No matter how you oper her up drilling out the pipe and putting in a better flowing air filter just remember you will need to do Carb jetting which takes lots of time to get just perfect for your set up[]I have done many mods to mine and I can get it up in the 80s with no problem now. But don't run it lean as the bike is so lean from the factory its close to meltdown as it is [:@]..... There are lots of helpfull posts in here to help you and many guys to help you...... Have Fun and be SAFE

Old 03-17-2007, 05:32 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

All motorcycles have problems making the lights change, its a weight issue.
Basically on the exhaust you just stick a 1/2" drill bit in the tip/exit and drill out the baffle...takes like 1 min.
http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,1336.0.html

To open up the intake, most install a kdx snorkle and change the filter to a UNI or Twin-Air.
http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,1289.0.html

good luck and welcome

Old 03-17-2007, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Most lights use inductive loops to "sense" the presence of a car. The car changes the inductance through the loop & then the light is actuated. Either way, motorcycles have a hard time tripping them. The sensitivity they adjust the lights to is a big part of it. Some states in the US allow you to ride through the light after a certain amount of time or cycles of the light. You can also get off & push the walk button used to cross the street on foot if it has one.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:37 PM

i dont have my motorcycle license but i was once told if the traffic is clear a motorcycle can go through a red light cause they usually dont trip the light to change. i dunno if thats true or not

Old 03-17-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

My first mod was taking the snorkle out of the airbox and replacing the main jet with a 125. I would assume you are not at a very high elevation, so that jetting would be a good starting point for you. My pilot jet is the stock 35 and is not too lean. I haven't shimmed the needle either and mid acceleration feels good. This is all with a modified stock muffler. My 13 tooth front sprocket has made a big difference on both the top and bottom speeds. RPM at actual 70 MPH is about 7800. With the 14 tooth it was at 7000 andit would slow down on the bigger hills at 70 mph. I don't lose speed going up a hill at 70 mph anymore.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahh see thanks all that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Thanks for the links that clears up things nicely. I will drill out the baffle today and then look at getting some jets for her asap.

Perth is at sea level so do you all think the 125 main is the one to go for? I think once I get these few things done I will have the exact bike I was looking for.

I will have to look into the law here on running a red light if it wont trip. The only time this will be an issue is late at night when the traffic is light. I dont see any other way to make it change other than to just go though after it cycles say twice.

BTW if I drill out the baffle in the muffler is that going to increase the noise but a large or small margin?

Once I recover finacially from my enthusiastic overspending on accessories hehe, I will look at a full exhaust system but for now the mods will have to do.

Oh yeah I picked myself up a Dri rider jacket when I got my bike and itseems to bevery well made and versatile as you can unzip all the lining etc. Don't know if you can get them in the states but so far I am very happy with it.

Heres a link to the one I got.
http://www.dririder.com.au/

Its the climate control one. (Direct link didn't work)

Thanks again for the info

Glen

Old 03-18-2007, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Glen,

I have a 2006 KLX250. My engine and carb are stock and mine will do 140 (86mph) indicated. How many k's on your bike? I found with mine it really started to open up around 800 - 1000k's so if you have less maybe you just need to be a little patient? Otherwise I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them why yours is so slow.

Other than that you may need to do the baseline mods listed in these forums. Oh yeah I'm on the east coast (Coffs Harbour)

Cheers

Old 03-18-2007, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi TeamKLX250

Yeah mine only has about 300km on it so maybe i am being a little hasty. I am not panicking about it as yet and it is good to hear it should open up a little more.

BTW did you run yours in as per instructions from you dealer or did you give it a little early to help seat the rings?

Oh yes as your in AU are you using BP ultimate in your bike?

Glen

Old 03-18-2007, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello Glen, and welcome to the forum.

First and foremost, don't trust the speedometer on this bike unless you have the digital variety. The factory, analog gauge usually reads about 10MPH (16kph) high at the speeds you speak of. A GPS will give you a true reading. I believe Team KLX runs a 'Vapor' after market speedometer, so he's probably pretty close to spot-on.

I remember maintaining 120 KPH for long stretches of a particular trip and the bike seemed to hold its own, but required WOT on the hills... that was in stock form though. Be prepared for a drastic change in gas mileage though. I hit reserve A LOT earlier at that speed.

If you still have a problems maintaining speed after the engine mods, going to 45T in the rear or 13T on the front will put you back in business.

I'll have to qualify my remarks though. I ride the motard version (D-tracker) which uses 17" steet tires, so I think it's a abit easier to maintain that speed.

Quick Reply: Drilling Hole in exhaust.