Drill choke to .018, why not .020. Where to drill.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by brownie2
I've got the bits and a pin vice drill. I practiced on a piece of soft copper with a slightly larger bit. I broke the bit promptly!
Any tricks to doing this without breaking a bit?
Be gentle, there is a hole there already, so all you have to do is bore it out a little.

Just keep thinking to your self how screwed you will be if the bit does break.,,,

If I can do it with my fat fingers and a small pair of vice grips on the bit anyone can.

David

Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I just use my finger with a small drill somewhat like that but smaller.

It's so soft, went thru like butter!
No practice run, no problem for me.
You have to make sure the bit is strait in the drill, it's so small it can easily be seating at the wrong spot in the drill and it gets angled and will most likely break during operation.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Since I didn't have the correct tool I put the bit in my X-acto knife. It worked ok, just make sure you have it in there straight.
Dan

Name:  IMG_8327.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  38.0 KB

Last edited by dan888; 02-03-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Rey

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking about trying to find the solution to a problem, and this thread seemed like a good start.

A buddy of mine picked up a 2009 250s a few weeks ago. It's been modded a bit, just not sure how much. It has the LOUDEST 2 Bros exhaust, which, if not for the bent piece of aluminum mounted to the turn signal, will melt off the turn signal. That piece of aluminum is black with carbon, so it's likely the PO re-jetted for the exhaust (which it turns out is for something like an 05 KLX 300??? (or so the PO now says).

In any event, Jon Putzman, the new owner, says that when he starts it choked, the head pipe turns "cherry red". I've told him to shut it off, and hold off, lest he melt down a valve or two...

He got the PO to ship him the old stock exhaust, which I told JP we need to get back on, and then we need to pull the carb, verify all of the jet sizes, bleed sizes, needle, etc., and clean the thing, that there may be some debris lodged in the choke fuel enrichment circuit. If jetting way off, get it back to stock and start over.

Does this procedure sound reasonable to you guys?

I have a 2009, but no mods. Yes, hard starts when cold, but laying it on it's side for a half a minute does the trick. JP's bike had 9500 miles on it, mine has 1400. His is a daily ride, and when he starts it he doesn't choke it for long cause its too loud, so he closes choke and turns up idle with the idle set screw just enough to keep it running (bad thing to do, I think).

Opinions, thoughts, directions, you guy's knowledge would be super appreciated!

Thanks,

Rey.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Red face

I read the post a few times....

I'll sell ya my stock carb jetted and the choke drilled along with all the original parts and the rest of the dynojet kit. All for a hunnert bucks.

send a PM if you are interested

David

Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine will turn the head pipe red at idle and it's jetted fine and it's not a problem. I wouldn't let it sit and idle to see how red it will get, but it's fine.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you look at the spark plug?. Is it de-smogged? Sounds like you're on the right track - check the jets and inspect it all thoroughly. My header would get cherry red idling when it was stock, but not as quick now. I'm not positive I'd put the stock exhaust back on, but it shouldn't hurt either if its easy to get.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Rey

I just can't imagine cherry red being good. I mean, the head pipe is one thing, and it won't hurt that, but unless the exhaust valves are Inconel or something that exotic, it can't be good.

As a double check, late last night, I rolled my 250 out of the garage, started it (of course with some effort...), let it warm up, idled it for 4 minutes, then ran it at 3500 +- for another 3 minutes and my head pipe never glowed, not even faintly...

I used to run around in an old beater Ford Ranger that always had a vacuum leak somewhere. The cast iron manifold on that thing would turn red/orange. I cooked the engine in it shortly after I bought it, and 2 junkyard motors afterward, all over heats, warped heads, melted valves. Engine #4 and I took it to the local mechanic. He found the leaks and I drove that POS for 3 more years without a problem. That was a long time ago, but I remember him telling me "too lean cost you a lot of money".

His exhaust has to go anyway, it's so loud, I want to shoot him!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

My header has never gotten hot enough to glow, even when it was wicked lean from the factory.

I had an old chevy and one time i was "adjusting" the timing by twisting the distributor cap :P. Needless to say, retarded timing will glow them headers real good.

But since you can't adjust the timing on the KLX, to my knowledge anyway, sounds like a really lean condition.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Originally Posted by wildcard
I had an old chevy and one time i was "adjusting" the timing by twisting the distributor cap :P. Needless to say, retarded timing will glow them headers real good.
Been there done that.

I did have mine glow bright RED once. I was messing with the carb and a lean running condition. I was runing the bike at 4,000 and 6,000 rpm and partially blocking off the intake. Too lean, then too rich sure as heck pipe turned red.

My air injection is blocked off. Bill recommended it so I did it, but I see no gain in HP or anything else.

If you are allowing your bike to run long enough sitting still for the pipe to turn red, just don't. Shut the bike off. It will not glow while you are riding it.

The air injection into the exhaust or what you folks call smog stuff will help make the pipe glow especially if its running with the choke on. Choke on, cold bike, unburned fuel and fresh air injected directly AFTER the exhaust valves makes for a glowing red pipe after a few minutes.

TOO LEAN of a mixture will not hurt, its when its too lean to fire (a lean miss) then unburned gas makes it into the exhaust setting it up for a red pipe.

Quick Reply: Drill choke to .018, why not .020. Where to drill.