Don not use valvoline motorcycle oil.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
They are 100% useless if people don't learn anything!
Yep...agree. And in that vein they are almost like religious and political discussions...almost.

Seriously though, I'm fascinated with that "energy conservation" label on many of the synthetics that we spoke of on an earlier thread. Probably because those are additives somewhat unique to different companies, we'll probably never know their composition. The good news...most oils out there are more than good enough to run in our wet clutch motorcycles with no negative effects whatsoever.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I ran rotella 15-40 in my 04 kawi zx6r for 35000 miles never had one problem. no clutch issues nothing and i wasnt too easy on that bike.

I now run 10-40 mobil 5000 in my klx250sf since 100 miles new i now have 1k and havent had a problem. I plan on running synthetic rotella from here on out.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Seriously though, I'm fascinated with that "energy conservation" label on many of the synthetics that we spoke of on an earlier thread. Probably because those are additives somewhat unique to different companies, we'll probably never know their composition. The good news...most oils out there are more than good enough to run in our wet clutch motorcycles with no negative effects whatsoever.
I really appreciated your perspective on the energy conserving oils...as much as I have researched oil in the past, I missed that one (that many run just fine in wet-clutches with zero problems). I've since gone back and looked at many other UOA's, and you were correct. Live and learn!

As I've said before, and will say again, I know enough to know I don't know enough!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

HDEO doesn't stand for "diesel", it stands for Heavy Duty Engine Oil.

Look at the back of Rotella now...it's JASO-MA rated! That shows that all us idiots using it knew what we were doing all those years after all....
but its still designed for diesel engines?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

why not run oil specificly designed for dirtbikes? http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040666

Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09'Kawi250s
but its still designed for diesel engines?
SOME diesel engines can use the common HDEO's. But, SOME diesels require other oils...such as the VW 2.0 turbo. There's only a precious few oils that meet that engine's specs.

Non-diesels can certainly use the common HDEO's. Including our bikes, and most any common motorcycle application....

Do this: Take the information from the data sheet that Castrol provides on any given oil that is the same viscosity of it's ATV/Motorcycle oil. Ignore the marketing print...it says nothing but hyperbole about how great it is for ATV/Motorcycles, and compare that Data sheet to any other Castrol oil of the same viscosity. After you do this, you'll question why the ATV/Motorcycle oil costs more...as it isn't "better" than the others.

As long as people believe the hyperbole, they'll continue to charge a premium for ATV/Motorcycle oil. People are correct that it's not THAT much of a premium, since oil expenses aren't that high for bikes in general. But, I'd rather not pay for "better", when it is NOT "better".

Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 09-05-2010, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

SOME diesel engines can use the common HDEO's. But, SOME diesels require other oils...such as the VW 2.0 turbo. There's only a precious few oils that meet that engine's specs.

Non-diesels can certainly use the common HDEO's. Including our bikes, and most any common motorcycle application....

Do this: Take the information from the data sheet that Castrol provides on any given oil that is the same viscosity of it's ATV/Motorcycle oil. Ignore the marketing print...it says nothing but hyperbole about how great it is for ATV/Motorcycles, and compare that Data sheet to any other Castrol oil of the same viscosity. After you do this, you'll question why the ATV/Motorcycle oil costs more...as it isn't "better" than the others.

As long as people believe the hyperbole, they'll continue to charge a premium for ATV/Motorcycle oil. People are correct that it's not THAT much of a premium, since oil expenses aren't that high for bikes in general. But, I'd rather not pay for "better", when it is NOT "better".
hmmm.... intersesting. thanks for the info!!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I just filled my crankcase with Rotella. Does that mean i can put a solid threaded plug in the spark plug hole and run diesel ?

I really could use some extra torque out of this thing.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: Don not use valvoline motorcycle oil.