Do I need service manuals for free mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Default Do I need service manuals for free mods?

Howdy folks. First time caller.

Like most other nOObs here, I have just found this site after poring over the 116 pages in the incredible ADVrider thread. Most questions that I had to start with have already been answered there. As usually happens with this kind of thing, though, it outfitted me with a whole new set of questions with which I need help.

I've had my bike for a week and about to cross 200 miles on it. I am outfitting it as a full-blown commuter special that will see dirt every change I get. I am about to embark upon the free/cheap mods. I know how to turn a wrench, but until a week ago I had never taken a tool to a motorcycle. Since then I have changed the oil in this baby once following a motoman-style breakin. I have been away from bikes for 15 years, and back then I didn't work on anything mechanical.

Anyway, my question is this - should I get the manual/supplement before doing the free/cheap mods? I know that there are detailed instructions by the posters both here and on the ADVrider thread, so I have little doubt that I can figure out the procedures. My concern is torque values on the bolts once I am putting things back together. I would guess that the bolts on the carb hood are pretty important to properly torque. That might be the only ones that come into play, I obviously need to re-read the posts before actually tearing into the bike.

I am about to order all of the stuff, and if I will need the manuals, then I need to order them along with everything else. I am sure I will need them at some point, but I am trying to buy things a little at the time. If I don't absolutely need them at this point, then I really need to wait.

Thanks and as everyone else has said, this forum and the ADVrider thread have been and will continue to be an invaluable resource. Thanks to all of the senior folks that have given so freely of their time and experience. I hope I can contribute a little along the way.

Best regards from NC.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Do I need service manuals for free mods?

Personally, I don't worry too much about torque unless they're critical engine fasteners.
Maybe that's a bad thing - I dunno - but I'd say just go ahead and do the mods.
I didn't have my manuals when I did it... Don't worry about torquing the carb fasteners.

A little bit of blue loktite never hurt anything.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:41 PM

KW,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, your Loktite advice raises yet another question. With all of the plugging and drilling and whatnot, when and where are folks using thread goop and/or gasket goop? I saw at least on reference to using some when plugging up the various holes from removing the smog stuff, but other than that, I have not seen this addressed specifically in folks procedures.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2006, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. I cant really answer your questions about the free mods as I have not done mine yet. I really only want to tear into the bike Once so I will be doing all the free stuff when I do the exhaust / rejet at 600 miles. I will also being going to Synthetic oils at 600 miles too.

I'm curious, So you broke your bike in using motomans style huh. I just could not bring myself to do that although I couldnt follow the manual either. At 50 miles I could no longer resist and took it to about 8 grand for some short runs. Now with 250 miles on it I usually shift around 5-6 grand and will push it to 7 sometimes once its warmed up.

Again welcome and talk to you later.

LV

Old 08-24-2006, 08:43 PM

LV,

Yeah, it felt very strange ******* the bike like that. Actually, I did not learn about the motoman approach until I had about 11 miles on the odo. That evening I took it out and dogged it pretty good - not redlining or anything, but plenty of hard acceleration and deceleration. After about 10 miles of this, I took the bike home and changed the oil and filter. I expected to see a filter full of Al, but it did not look that bad. I forgot to hold the oil up to the light to see if it looked like glitter. Others have posted that it does/should.

Following that day, I would say that I rode it a little harder than I usually would for the next 30 miles or so. Now I just ride it. I am still getting the feel of the bike, but I am not trying to do anything to it as I am riding it.

The hard riding was particularly odd for me because I am kind of an old lady when it comes to riding anyway. I enjoy being on a bike, but it's not about the speed to me, it's more the freedom. I know everyone is rolling there eyes at this, but it's true.

Anyway, I read the motoman site and bought his argument for his way. I think that it will work out just fine. I hope I don't find out later on that I made a big mistake. If I did, though, then there will be a lot of folks that made it with me.

To each his own.

Regards.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

with regards to the motoman theory.... I don't think it makes a big difference on these little thumpers...
Whether you ride hard or soft, it's almost impossible NOT to load up the rings under acceleration.
It's the loading of the rings that drives them out into the cylinder wall and creates that nice initial friction/wear.

Now on a 1000cc sport bike, where a guy could easily cruise around town all day long without loading the engine...
That would be a problem because the rings don't get driven out into the cyl walls and they don't get the right initial wear.

But on our thumpers it's really a no brainer - I don't think you can break it in "wrong" if you tried... (unless you redline the sh|t out of it).

Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

To answer your first question, I don't think there's anything in the service manual or supplement that will help you w/regard to the free mods, so I wouldn't consider it necessary. The service manual comes in handy for torque values, engine rebuild / service, valve check and adjustment, fork service and rebuild, etc. There's lot of great stuff in there, just not much that would help directly with the free mods as far as I can see.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't worry about torque setting for normal bolts and maintainance. Internal engine bits are different tho, there a torque wrench is a good idea. The human touch is the best torque wrench IMO