Different headlight for '09 klx?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I used the universal model. It's not plug and play. You need to do some re-wiring. It's not too hard though.
Dan

Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I went ahead and bought the Polisport MMX headlight (got a great deal), so we'll see how it works out. Installation wasn't too bad, I just kept as much of the OEM lighting harness as possible & wired it up. I was able to use a couple original bolt holes so it lined up nicely. Still working on aiming the beam, but I think a few washers over the adjustment screw will fix that.

As is always the case with things like this though, one finished project spawns another project that needs to be addressed. Now I'm trying to come up with a good way to do the turn signals using a pair of Flip Lite brackets. I've taken the OEM rear indicators and moved them up front because they don't hang out as much as the OEM fronts did. I may end up buying a pair of smalled LED's if I can't use the OEMs. Any suggestions?

Now, I'm waiting patiently for IMS to finish the new tank for the '09's & getting ready to send the forks/shock to MotoPro. I think the 351 kit is in my future too.

I'll post a couple pics if anyone's interested.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Please post your pics. Here are a couple more from mine showing current blinker and gauge setup. Blinker setup will still change in the future and I have other plans.

Different headlight for '09 klx?-0602111109.jpg

Different headlight for '09 klx?-0602111109a.jpg

Old 06-03-2011, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's some pics. I like the way you did your fr turn signals. That's kind of what I had in mind. How do the Flip Lites hold up for you?

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  111.0 KB
Name:  sideview.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  120.4 KB
Name:  back.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  55.9 KB

Here's where I cut off the OEM ts mounts to make it a good fit:
Name:  tsmountscut.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  44.1 KB

It looks like you've managed to hold on to the original handlebars. I destroyed mine the 3rd time I took my bike to the desert
Name:  benthandlebars.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  149.9 KB

Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Put an LED compatible flasher in today so the turn signals would flash at the correct rate. All that's left is to wait for those Flip Lites to show up & I think I'll be good. I bought these really little LED front turn signals & I think (hope) that they'll fold up and tuck right under the faceplate when not needed. Of course, I'll still have to use arm signals during the day.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by heypilch
Here's some pics. I like the way you did your fr turn signals. That's kind of what I had in mind. How do the Flip Lites hold up for you?

It looks like you've managed to hold on to the original handlebars. I destroyed mine the 3rd time I took my bike to the desert
the little flip lights have been just fine. cheapo things from the local independent shop that I put in intending to be temporary, but I'll probably keep them after some more work on the mounting system. They're incandescent, not LED.

Ya, how is it that everyone bends their stock bars and mine are still okay? I have some Tusk high bars to put on and will pass my bars on to another klxer I know who bought a used bike and the bars are bent up some.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I really like your Vapor setup, BTW. How much work was that to hook up & mount? I'm still using the OEM display. It works great, but it's a little clunky.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice work guys!! Those both look great.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm still waiting for my Flip Lite brackets to come. I ordered them last week because I've got a ride planned this Saturday & need to be street legal for about 14 miles of the trip. They haven't come yet, but no worries - I just had to improvise until they show up. I bought some flat aluminium & fabbed up a couple brackets to hold me over. I just wired it all together with some shrink tube to keep it dry (hopefully)

Name:  DSCN1548.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  72.9 KB

The LED compatible flasher works like a charm, too.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Pilch , I like that light! Looks good on there.
Dan

Quick Reply: Different headlight for '09 klx?