Difference in packing material?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Difference in packing material?

I bought some repacking for my big gun, from a local racing shop. Its MSR brand, and online it says its for 2 stroke mufflers... Would there be a difference in repacking material for a 2 stroke muffler compared to a 4 stroke muffler? I would think there really is no difference... but.... i could be wrong.

I took apart the big gun and got all the old packing out, what a pain in the ***, my arm and hand were itchyall day. I dont know about anyone else, but, i can see why it needs repacked. Besides all the old packing and such, the core of the muffler was full of all kinds of junk, a build up of exhaust stuff and mud, yes mud.... dont know how that happened....... anyway i took a wire brush spiral pipe cleaner about the same diameter and put it in a drill and cleaned it all out. It was full of crap, alot of the holes in the core at the end were almost all plugged up... so im thinking i might repack 2 times a year, with how i ride. I didnt have that exhaust the whole time i have had the bike so next year the exhaust will have more time on it. So i would recommend looking inside you muffler and you will be able to see the crap build up on the core. That would block the exhaust gases getting into the packing, and the muffler not working correctly. Just letting you guys know what i found out.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Difference in packing material?

The only difference i can see is that 2 strokes have lower exhaust temps, and more oil in the exhaust... and the 4 stroke is hotter, and doesnt have the oil in the exhaust.....

Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I emailed racetek the same question.... here is the response.....

Eric,
With our RaceTEX packing, no, because it works well in both. Typically, four strokes are much harder on packing than two strokes dues to heat and exhaust pulses. An amateur level motocross rider who should get 30 engine hours from our material on a 450 four stroke should get 2-3 times that on a 250cc two stroke.

The difference is mainly in density. Typically, we fill two stroke mufflers with less material that we would a four stroke. In a two stroke, we average between 160-170 grams of packing per packable liter while in four strokes we use between 200 and 220 g/l. Heat, pressure fluctuations and sound frequency differences between these engine types are all reasons for the density difference.

If you're interested in another aspect that I missed, please me know.

Brgds,
Morgan Curtice

I think i am going to take back that packing i got and get some good quality stuff. The race tek stuff looks promising...

Old 12-04-2006, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

I bought some repacking for my big gun, from a local racing shop. Its MSR brand, and online it says its for 2 stroke mufflers... Would there be a difference in repacking material for a 2 stroke muffler compared to a 4 stroke muffler? I would think there really is no difference... but.... i could be wrong.

I took apart the big gun and got all the old packing out, what a pain in the ***, my arm and hand were itchyall day. I dont know about anyone else, but, i can see why it needs repacked. Besides all the old packing and such, the core of the muffler was full of all kinds of junk, a build up of exhaust stuff and mud, yes mud.... dont know how that happened....... anyway i took a wire brush spiral pipe cleaner about the same diameter and put it in a drill and cleaned it all out. It was full of crap, alot of the holes in the core at the end were almost all plugged up... so im thinking i might repack 2 times a year, with how i ride. I didnt have that exhaust the whole time i have had the bike so next year the exhaust will have more time on it. So i would recommend looking inside you muffler and you will be able to see the crap build up on the core. That would block the exhaust gases getting into the packing, and the muffler not working correctly. Just letting you guys know what i found out.
EMS, you got your bike back???? Is this is true, this is GREAT NEWS...

SAY IT IS SO!!!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

HAHAHAHAHA[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=lol.gif] your kidding right..... no i dont have my bike, i have my big gun exhaust though... i put the stock exhaust back on when it went back, so i figured id repack it while it was off....

Old 12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm truly sorry to hear that man...

Hopefully it will be soon!!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

you and me both bud....

Old 12-04-2006, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I emailed racetek the same question.... here is the response.....

Eric,
With our RaceTEX packing, no, because it works well in both. Typically, four strokes are much harder on packing than two strokes dues to heat and exhaust pulses. An amateur level motocross rider who should get 30 engine hours from our material on a 450 four stroke should get 2-3 times that on a 250cc two stroke.

The difference is mainly in density. Typically, we fill two stroke mufflers with less material that we would a four stroke. In a two stroke, we average between 160-170 grams of packing per packable liter while in four strokes we use between 200 and 220 g/l. Heat, pressure fluctuations and sound frequency differences between these engine types are all reasons for the density difference.

If you're interested in another aspect that I missed, please me know.

Brgds,
Morgan Curtice

I think i am going to take back that packing i got and get some good quality stuff. The race tek stuff looks promising...
Good information ... both from you and the RaceTek guy!

I've read that better quality packing is "single strand" fiberglass instead of the chopped up stuff. Apparently the single strand last longer because it doesn't "blow out" as quickly. (BTW - I've noticed a few strands of fiberglass sneaking out of the joint between my silencer and end-cap ... its the packing that shipped with my Big Gun exhaust.)

Mike

Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

you and me both bud....
Any word on when it might be fixed?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea i noticed that with my muffler too, actually it was sticking out of both ends.... the race tek website actually says to seal the endcaps of the muffler with rtv high temp silicone.... i wont be doing that... but i think that i will go with thier packing, just have to order it...

Quick Reply: Difference in packing material?