Difference between 1994 KLX250R and 2009 KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
I think that he is saying that the increase will allow the engine to not nose over(lose torque output) as rapidly as the oe settings and that will increase power(it's a function of torque/rpm-same tq at higher rpm=more hp).
Thanks for your post GBAUTO.

This is exactly what I would expect the mod to do as well, as for its validity in a real life situation I cannot comment. However, there isnt any difference between the cams on the 1994 bike and the 2009 bike as far as I understand.

I know of a guy with a 1994 bike, maybe I can ask this guy if he wants to switch bikes for an hour or two and I will be able to test how it performs past ~8000rpm

Did everyone give up on this mod? Richard Avatar are you still determined to test it?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Not so much.

But if I locate someone who does TIG in this little town, I might give it a try if I can find more data backing it up

Maybe RayCour can tell us something about where the timing signal happens-at the front or rear of the rotor nose. Just to verify the premise..

I am though going to hook my TPS wiring back up tomorrow (it came off when I switched to TM36) and see if twisting the prong in the middle of the part that bolted to the orig carb effects how the bike idles. Post #8 here addresses a lot of things about TPS, but he also adds "try it and see"

Maybe there's something to be gained by just having it plugged in and locked at a certain setting? I know most people say the difference is usually imperceptible but it's easy to hook up isn't it?

A service manual for DFI KLXs says in part:

If the main throttle sensor system fails (the signal is out of the usable range, wiring short or open), the ECU locks ignition timing into the
ignition timing at closed throttle position and sets the DFI in the D-J method.

So I'm curious what removing mine might have done to the timing if anything even though this bike never had DFI.

I'll look around and see if I can find a timing light that'll clamp onto the plug wire and battery

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 05-13-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

If you use a timing light with a adjustable advance dial you could watch the effects of moving the tps has on ignition timing. Just hook up the light and use the 't' mark on the flywheel(it's at tdc) and you could map the timing curve.

Last edited by GBAUTO; 05-13-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll check it out. Probably have to import one though

Edit: Looking up reviews on the Craftsman timing light at Sears.com and other brands on Amazon it seems they are all prone to premature failure..

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 05-13-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member

No perceptible audible change in rpm while testing the TPS at various idle speeds.

For a minute there I thought there was one higher idle speed setting that I did hear the engine idle speed go higher/lower by maybe 300rpm (no tach) as I rotated the TPS through its range -though there was a 2-3 second delay in the audible change, but couldn't repeat it after the first couple + results.

Might have just been idle fluctuations

Fed by idle curiosity

To explore idle nonsense

Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

IF the TPS works as the other Kawi K-tric systems do, I doubt you will be able to notice any difference in idle RPM since the system looks at throttle opening (voltage from the tps) as well as engine speed to determine the amount of timing advance -

Name:  ktricmap.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  21.8 KB

IIRC Raycour had his cdi on a test bench and said that he could not see any effective difference in timing advance from the TPS as well, which led many of us wondering if Kawasaki ever actually implemented the system in working fashion on the KLX.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

For those with aftermarket carbs, does the TPS connect to anything?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Typically the TPS doesn't connect to after market carbs used on our bikes, and is just removed

Old 05-15-2014, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Exactly, so what difference does it make? Particularly for carburated models.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

That's the question-and so far it seems does little to nothing.

Quick Reply: Difference between 1994 KLX250R and 2009 KLX250S