Did some trail riding this weekend. (Jan 6th, 2007)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Did some trail riding this weekend. (Jan 6th, 2007)

Vurtle and I decided to take our KLX's to the place where they recently held the Red Bull Last Man Standing race and check out the trails. http://www.redbulllastmanstanding.com/

Here's a few pics from the ride...

The bikes wouldn't stay this clean for long...

Part of the trails where we could actually take some pictures. We were way too busy riding most of the time to pull out the camera.

Vurtle getting uh… realigned.

What'ja stopping for?

What a poser!

And another one!

Hmm... which way now?

The bikes looking cool down by the river.

Back at the trailer and done for the day.

We covered about 24 miles total. Here's a GPS track over a map of what we covered of the park.

I would say that the single mod that made the most difference in tight, technical trail riding, is having the 13 tooth counter sprocket. Having your suspension setup correctly goes along way too.

We had no major getoffs or damage to men or machines. Although I feel every bit of 45 years old today.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did some trail riding this weekend. (Jan 6th, 2007)

looks like a good time... how the bikes handle in the sandy stuff?

Old 01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jsac

looks like a good time... how the bikes handle in the sandy stuff?
In the deep sand, I took it real slow. The front end really wants to grab and slide out, and sand is not my favorite surface to ride on. I'm fine as long as I don't try to change direction! But the bikes did fine, Vurtle is a better sand rider than me. He sure would go a lot faster than me through the sand, I know that!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

WOW!!! Awesome pics and ride report. I absolutely love seeing other bikes and riders, especially when they are my age. Yea way to go guys.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

hehehe yea i just wish i could see some 15 yr-old riders out there, would definatealy give me a little more buying confidence
ORIGINAL: deej

WOW!!! Awesome pics and ride report. I absolutely love seeing other bikes and riders, especially when they are my age. Yea way to go guys.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

hehehe yea i just wish i could see some 15 yr-old riders out there, would definatealy give me a little more buying confidence

Hmm.. Not sure what you're saying there, Rusty. There was some 15-18 year old riders out there on WRs and CRFs and the like, but none would venture up on the trails that we were riding. Age has really nothing to do with riding ability. As long as the bike fits your weight and height, you're good to go. The rest is up to you as the rider.

The KLX will get you where you want to go as long as you do your part.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thunderchild

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

Hmm.. Not sure what you're saying there, Rusty. There was some 15-18 year old riders out there on WRs and CRFs and the like, but none would venture up on the trails that we were riding. Age has really nothing to do with riding ability. As long as the bike fits your weight and height, you're good to go. The rest is up to you as the rider.

The KLX will get you where you want to go as long as you do your part.
yep iwas trying to say that i would like to see some other riders my age and wieght(at time of bike purchase, next yearish) out there throwing around a KLX, I am just skeptacle(sp?) about how a 145-150lb 15yr-old could handle the bike. hopefully the dealer wont be dicks about it and let me test drive before i buy, but i am not to worried about it. i figure if i get it and the bike is doing the driving i will bulk up so to speak

Old 01-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Maybe people that age aren't looking at a street legal bike, after all they would have to pass the endorsement and get insurance, and that can be a bit steep. But I'm sure there are young guys out there with the KLX.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool ride pics Thunderchild, always fun to see what kind of terrain others are riding, that looks pretty challenging!!!!

Question for you....... what kind of exhaust pipe does Vurtle have that appears in that first pic on the trailer?? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

for deep sand, what works best for me is lowing the air pressure to 9-10 psi (front and back), standing on the pegs and leaning back while pulling on the handlebars. That position seems to keep me from burring my front tire and gives me a micron of control on direction....

Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice pics and love the front blinker solution def adding that to my list.

Quick Reply: Did some trail riding this weekend. (Jan 6th, 2007)