Did some damage, fork leaking..

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Did some damage, fork leaking..

Name:  IMG_18101.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  56.3 KB

Yeah...... So I tried to look at the parts diagram on Bikebandit.com... And as far as I can see the part is about $550??? Can anyone get me the part number I will need to check on this?
This really sucks, I noticed it was leaking, and so I took off the guard where it was scraped where I dumped it..... And found this. If the part is at all expensive I won't be able to fix until next year at least. I am hoping that piece comes off somehow, and it can be replaced. Either that or I will probablyl just buy a used set of forks.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did some damage, fork leaking..

Any chance this will fit???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...ayphotohosting

Old 09-08-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you try this?

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_179.../tm.htm#179336

Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

that doesnt look good..... good luck.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

what part are you talking about? New fork seals are only 10 bucks a pop.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know if I'm correct, but I think that your assumption of the entire fork tube being messed up is right. The part # that I came up with is 44008, which costs $445.17 @ M.R. Cycles.
That appears to be the only way to fix the damage.[:@]

Old 09-08-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

There was a guy on here parting out his 300 with racetech modifed fork. Check that out.I may have a set of guards & guides for sale if you needed those.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, only problem, Sinkoman and stellar_d, is that if you look closly at the picture, you will see a bent tube, or the gasket housing or whatever that is??? Not exactly a 10 bucks a pop fix I don't think.
Anyone know if those kx500 forks will work??

Old 09-08-2007, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

That silver 'end' to the upper ( outer ) fork tube is assembled and pressed on at the factory and is only available as one piece for strength reasons, it is'nt something a normal mechanic can do anything about. Since its the 'cap' of the outer fork tube that holds everything in and together its assembled in a very specific way and intended to remain permenant because of the critical nature of the piece. Its not a part you'll find replacement for anywhere.., essentially its safe to assume the outer fork tube is ruined and not something you want to risk failing anyways if you did do anything to fix it. Pounding it straight even would'nt work as it would prove dangerous and probably just keep ruining fork seals fast as theres no way to get the machining tolerances perfect again. And if that end cap ever gave way your entire fork would come appart on you right on the spot and that would likely be a /bad/ wreck heh.

Your best bet is to find a pair of used forks that are straight and put in new oil/seals when you get them, unless they are low mileage forks. The lower/inner tube looks undamaged so if you can atleast find a good upper/outer tube then you can reassemble the forks yourself if your mechanically inclined, or take the fork off and have a shop do it for about 50 bucks. You'll have to put in new seals and oil no matter what but thats only another 15 bucks overhead for both.

Brand new, www.ronayers.com has that upper/outer fork tube for 455 bucks so its not a cheap fix at all.., forks are always horribly expensive. It sucks bad that this happened to your fork.., but sincerely, my advice is just to toss that outer tube and find another, or another set of forks entirely. its just to dangerous and difficult to repair that kind of damage to that area. Even if the fork held together its unlikely it will ever work properly again so both for performance and safey reasons, better to replace it however you can.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Those Kx forks will work but involves having some bushings and adapters/spacers made.You use the KLX springs with spacers to get the correct height. Brewster did a complete write up on PlanetKLX on how to do the conversion along with the specs on the parts that need to be machined. Used KLX forks come up on e-bay quite often at some good prices. That would probably be your easiest solution.There is a pair from a 1998 300 in the e-bay stores right now for $175.00. I have seen them go for less than $100.00 many times the last few years. As said before you could reuse your inner tubes with a replacement outer or outers.

Quick Reply: Did some damage, fork leaking..