Did I upset anyone

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 AM
Default Did I upset anyone

I really just wanted to know ,,,,,,,how would I be able to know if I did need a valve adjustment ?
I see many people have read my post , but no one has replied.
Is there any where I could look this up myself.
Thanks again .

Old 10-24-2006, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did I upset anyone

I remember seeing your post and thinking that the answer would be good to know. I personally don't know the answer. My guess would be that you would hear a lot of valve noise. Ticking, or tapping. I bet the bike wouldn't run very well. I'll shut up now and wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to check in.
Be patient.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Someone reported about some ticking noises a while back. Try this link cam chain or try and search for "manual cam chain tensioner." Mine once made a loud ticking noise not long after start up and all I did was rev it a few times and it went away. I just assumed that it was the cam chain tensioner since I had recently read about someone here with that same problem. It only happened to me that one time though.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 AM

the only real way to know is to check them. they would have to be way off to start making loud noises. you can check them without much work at all. all it requires is pulling the tank and the rocker cover and putting at top dead center and using some feeler gauges. nobrakes has a great write up on how to do it.

click here and scroll down https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_30635/tm.htm

good luck!!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:48 AM

Danny, valves on a bike like this usually get tighter as the valve and seat wear, the valve sinks into the head ever so slightly decreasing the clearance between the bucket and the cam. Exhaust valves get real hot and cool when closed by transfering heat into the seat and head. If the valves get tight the time the valve is closed and cooling is decreased. You could burn an exhaust valve, but i don't know how long it would take. A burnt valve will not seal allowing compression to leak by and you would hear some popping from the exhaust at idle and will lose some power. Now to answer your question no I really cant tell when a valve adjustment is needed, but by checking your manufcturer recommendations for valve adjsutment service interval you can avoid costly repairs and keep the bike running at its peak. If you have a shop check this it is always a good idea to have them write the clearances found on the work order so u know what they are and track the wear trend over time. I hope this helps a little, anybody want to add thats fine with me. Good riding

Old 10-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

When I had the Muzzy and jetting done they also checked out the valve clearances, and that was a 2700 miles. They said the valves were perfect, then a couple of hundred miles ago they replaces the camshaft because of the exhaust cam and the valves were still right in line, and now I have 3800 miles and the bike is perfect. I would also imaging that if your valves were too far out you would run out of the high rpm's as the valves couldn't keep up with the rest of the motor?

Old 10-24-2006, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I just curious sinse I really havent lost any performance and Its a light ticking .
The ticking goes away if I rev it up a little and comes back when it goes back to iddle. Like I mention in my other post I have not run the bike very hard sinse I bought it. I normally run it up to maybe 6500 RPM's and top I have cruised at has been 65mph.
Now here is the million dollar question , How loud is loud on the ticking ,,, could I be confusing this sound with anything else?
I would really hate to take this bike to dealer and they tell me its nothing. It just seems kind of strange .

Rememer Guys I really don't run my bike in the dirt ,, I just use it on comutes to work . I know this seems kind of strange it being a dual sport , but the truth of the matter ,, to me this was the coolest looking bike I had ever seen.

If all ends up being good ,, I will be traveling down to Tampico ,Mexico to ride at my cousin's ranch . I have a few bikes so it should be the ride of a life time .
If anyone has anything to throw in Please do so.

Thanks again Guys
Danny Aguilar

2006 KLX250
1998 KX250 fully modded
3-110cc chineese pit bikes
2005 Honda 350 Four-Trax
1- Kazuma 90 Four wheeeler

Old 10-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

You and deej will get along, not riding in dirt.....lol..... had to deej.....
Mine is still ticking, i can hear ticking over my big gun exhaust... which i think is too loud... but i cant help ya out either buddy.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM

My bike is completely stock ,,,,so maybe the light ticking is not that bad. ((wishfull thinking))
Is just all this valve stuff is getting me worried.
I know there has to be someone with the same worries as me.

Thanks again Guys
Danny Aguilar

2006 KLX250
1998 KX250 fully modded
3-110cc chineese pit bikes
2005 Honda 350 Four-Trax
1- Kazuma 90 Four wheeeler

Old 10-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yep.. i worry but the mechanic that replaced my exhaust cam said its ok..

Quick Reply: Did I upset anyone