Dial a jet

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dial a jet

Read in one of the threads here. Anyone has this bad boy on their klx? Feedback is appreciated. Is it plug and play? Easy to install? Not that I need out right now but I might in the future when I buy pipes.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Installation isn't exactly straightforward. You have to drill at least one hole in your carb, if not several (I forget).

Better than the dial-a-jet, I would be more interested in this:

Atacc

This accomplishes the same thing as fuel injection but without the electronic complication. This thing is around $300 if I remember correctly. It won't work on all carbs though. I had wanted to put one on my DR650 but the Keihen FCR carb I have on it is incompatible. I'm not sure about the Keihen CV carb on our bikes or the Mikuni pumper from Bill Blue. I need to check into it because it'd be fantastic if it'd work.

Edit: I decided to email Bill Blue and ask if he knows if it'll work... I'll post back when I get an answer.

Rob

Last edited by RobG; 04-08-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
Installation isn't exactly straightforward. You have to drill at least one hole in your carb, if not several (I forget).

Better than the dial-a-jet, I would be more interested in this:

Atacc

This accomplishes the same thing as fuel injection but without the electronic complication. This thing is around $300 if I remember correctly. It won't work on all carbs though. I had wanted to put one on my DR650 but the Keihen FCR carb I have on it is incompatible. I'm not sure about the Keihen CV carb on our bikes or the Mikuni pumper from Bill Blue. I need to check into it because it'd be fantastic if it'd work.

Edit: I decided to email Bill Blue and ask if he knows if it'll work... I'll post back when I get an answer.

Rob
thanks....

Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Probably not suitable.
Copy/paste from document that RobG linked to:

"The standard ATACC will work on almost any snowmobile except 4-strokes with CV type carbs"

It's meant for snowmobiles and the setup mentions temperatures that few of us would ever ride our bikes in.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 04-09-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: stil learning to spel
Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

There is a motorcycle/ATV application as well... it's setup for our temps not just the cold stuff for snowmobiling.

I emailed Holzmann about it too... waiting for a response.

Rob

Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I got a response from Holtzman today... they say it works on the FCR and the TM but doesn't work as well on the CVK. So for those who upgrade to the pumper carb from Bill Blue, this is an option.

Now I need to order up one of them for when I make that upgrade.

Rob

Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I have used the Dial-A-Jet in two of my motorcycles. The Nighthawk S 700 four and my KLX650C. Total success. It compensated over the full range from stock with the snorkle out to a big bore piston, a full reverse cone megaphone exhaust, and more open air box lid, plus going from18-95 degrees F and from sea level at Daytona Beach to about 5000 ft in West Virginia. All without any change in the setting.

The installation only needs one hole, but I did two (three if you count drilling the air boot strap). The air boot has a small hole cut with the special tool in the kit. I drilled the bottom of the float bowl rather than use the special fitting that goes in the drain because I wanted to keep the drain (my bike seems to not want to start with gas older than 5 days in the carb). A few hours in 1997 and nothing since. Plug burns a good chocolate brown and the pipe end looks really good. Oh, it's been about 44,000 miles with it too.

I will be putting another one in my SR500 street tracker. Imagine doing a teardown on the carb once to install, then perfect jetting from then on for under $100! I will not heasitate to use the product again and again.

It is an enrichener so it works great on a stock lean jetted engine especially if you open the air box and add an exhaust. It will do nothing for an engine that is running rich.

Dick's Racing uses the higher tech version Intelli-Jet in their racing carb applications. Go to the Dial-A-Jet website and read the media reviews. The ATV and snowmobile markets have taken to it much more than the motorcycle markets. I think it is because they aren't as established as the motorcycle market and are more opento different things.

If you understand fluid flow and fluid dynamics the system makes sense. Even Mikuni does a similar thing with their high performance drag racing carbs with their PowerJet. It is essentially the same thing, but dumping raw fuel in rather than the air/fuel mix. If it works for Mikuni it will work for Thunder Products, maker of the Dial-A-Jet. It isn't some black magic, it is simply using the same vacuum effect that draws on the main jet circuit, to richen mix when needed... sort of a passive fuel injector.

I recommend it highly.

Mark Krieger
Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners

Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Has anyone done this on our bikes?

Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

The kit is universal four stroke single. It works on most every single.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
Has anyone done this on our bikes?
both my brother and I have. Used the base line KLX300 jetting with a 125 main, then installed the Dial-A-Jet. Smooths out fuel delivery pulls fine. I don't have any gauges so I can't speak for AFM. Just that it runs clean and no issues. Brother did it on an 06 or 07 whatever, with a 300 pipe and no butt plug in it. Mine is on an 09 with the Marcelino mod.

On the 650 ran over a 5000 foot elevation range no problems and from 20-95°F range no issues, clean and pulls strong regardless.

But hey, why believe me, MXA, DirtBike!, and Motorcyclist have run them over the years and found they do the job. Key point is they don't make up for overly rich jetting, only lean jetting. The Dial-A-Jet is a fuel adder.

Quick Reply: Dial a jet