Decision Made, KLX it is!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Default Decision Made, KLX it is!

I went to the dealer tonight. First I had ot decide for sure that I was willing to cross over from teh sportbike world. Going from 130HP to 25HP, takes some conviction. But it's not all about power. I sat on the DR-Z400 and KLX250S. Although the KLX seemed a little bit compact, I liked the fact that it was little shorter, a better seat, I felt more connected with the machine, bette gauges, 6 speed, and I think it looks a little better. I just hae the feeling that it will be more fun since it's probably 95% as good on the road and a lot easier to ride on trails. I also looked at the DR650 and XR650, but they looked a little big for any serious trail use and didn't have tachometers. I'm a bit of a techno weenie sometimes, I just like having a tach.

I wish the weather was a little warmer, but I'm loading up the ZX9R on the trailer and I hope to come home with a new KLX. I'll call up to 2 or 3 other dealers in the area and make sure someone else also has one, so I have a little price leverage. Wish me luck, I'll let you know what I pay OTD.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Decision Made, KLX it is!

Good luck mate, shes a great bike

Old 02-12-2006, 03:12 AM

I brought her home this afternoon. I paid $5026 OTD, but got a very favorable trade-in on my ZX9R. I test rode bot hthe KLX and DR-Z400 before I was confident that "the little green bike that could" was the way to go.

It was 35 degrees outside, but I toughed it out and put 50 miles on the bike. I stopped twice and let the engine cool down to get some heat cycles in her. Like many others, I don't agree with taking it easy on the biek during break-in. I just avoid riding at sustained constant speeds. I honestly don't know how you could ride the bike under 6000 let alone 4000 RPM.

Power is adequate. I'm impressed how smooth the engine is. The DR felt a lot rougher and less refined... maybe it's just the smaller displacement. I took it on a lot of dirt roads and little bit of trails. 65 is not too bad crusing. There's no power there unless you drop it to 4th. I wouldn't mind a short fly screen, but the wind isn't too bad. 85 is possible in 5th, but that's about all she has if you sit upright. The front brake is pretty weak... needs SS braided lines. Comming from a sportbike I'm still getting used to the totally upright and compact riding position.

Overall, a fun little bike that I can't wait to get on some trails. It's also and very unintimidating machine for a beginner to learn the basics... and should allow me to learn how to really carve up the trails without getting over my head.I have a lot of MTB (bicycles) racing experience in the dirt, so I have a good feel for it, but it's still a big machine.

ll probably keep it all stock for a while, but eventually I'll look into a aftermarket exhaust, jet kit and take on the list of other modifications.

Thanks for all the great info on this site. It made the decision easy.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats! Enjoy!

Old 02-12-2006, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Have fun, good choice

Old 02-12-2006, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

You made a great choice. If you are like all of us you will love it. Have fun!!