Dead as a door nail need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Default Dead as a door nail need help

I removed the battery last fall, brought itin the house and connected it to a automatic charger for the winter.Reinstalled battery a couple weeks ago and it started right up and ran great. parked it in the garage and reconnected the chargerto the battery with the battery still on the bike. A couple a days later the bike was dead as a door nail. Volt meter indicates 12.5volts at the battery and at the starter relay. Fuses and diode test good. I fried something while charging the battery on the bike. anyideas? does anyone have a wiring diagram you could fax or email me?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Dead as a door nail need help

What kind of charger are you using ? Only use something like a battery tender I have 8 of them on all different kind of battery's..... If your battery has 12.5 volts and the fuese are good something else is up make sure any saftey switches are working if it won't do anything and the lights are on its in the switch some where.....I think there is a clutch switch and a kickstand switch and the neutral switch I'm not sure how many it has but one of them might be the problem Good Luck

Old 03-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have to ask, so don't be offended, but is the kill switch pushed in? When you turn on the key does the head light come on? If it does, make sure the red button is not pushed in.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

hhahahahahahahaha, ive done that tons of times...

chugga-chugga-chugga-spurrr****chugga-chugga-chugga-spurrr****chugga-chugga-chugga-spurrr****....... WTF!?!?!?! whats wrong with you!!!!???!??!???!?.... oh s**t[:@][:@] *-click-* cha-VROOOOMM!!![&o] gotta love ignorance

Old 03-22-2008, 05:46 PM

I checked all safety switches with an ohm-meter they check out ok. kill switch is in the run position. headlight and netural light wont even try to light. there is an open in the wiring somewhere. I guess I'll have to break down and buy a service manual for a wiring diagrahm. but I didn't want to wait a week.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

How old is your KLX? Have you checked ALL the fuses? There is a link to awiring diagram on this page. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D1%26hl%3Den

Old 03-22-2008, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 03-22-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

This is assuming you have a KLX250 'S'...2006/7 model.

I'm taking 'dead as a doornail' to mean nothing is working? No tail light, no headlight....completely dead?

If so, have you double-checked the all connections at or near the battery? Also, just to make sure you are aware, there are 3 fuses (1 main and2 in the box under the seat).

The only fuse that should matter is the main fuse because your nuetral and gaugelights don't run though any other fuse but that.

So, that narrows it down to the white wire coming from the battery, the main fuse which is inline with that white wire or a ground connection (black or yellow/black).

Old 03-22-2008, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

When you test the battery, test it under load. If it still gives 12.5V + then the battery is OK. Gotta test it under load.
ORIGINAL: jimmyjet

I removed the battery last fall, brought it in the house and connected it to a automatic charger for the winter. Reinstalled battery a couple weeks ago and it started right up and ran great. parked it in the garage and reconnected the charger to the battery with the battery still on the bike. A couple a days later the bike was dead as a door nail. Volt meter indicates 12.5volts at the battery and at the starter relay. Fuses and diode test good. I fried something while charging the battery on the bike. any ideas? does anyone have a wiring diagram you could fax or email me?

Old 03-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually I just went out and put a digital meter on the battery, and keep in mind mine is all charged up. With the bike not running it was 12.6 and when I start it, it goes up to 14.1. So having a battery that reads 12.5 is pretty close to normal, but you can have a dead battery even if it reads 12.5, its the amps behind the voltage that matters. I would bet that the main fuse blew on your bike.

Quick Reply: Dead as a door nail need help