Dare I start a suspension thread....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
NorCalKLX, have you read the owners manual? Unless they have left it out in the newer ones, it does show how to adjust the compression and rebound dampening on the rear shock (your bucking). Change one setting at a time and test it.
Yeah, I have that and the FSM. I guess I know where to to make the adjustment but I have no idea how to tune for results if that makes sense. The one thing I couldn't find is what the rear sag should be. I've read a few things in the FSM and it tells you specs, how to adjust things and service limits. But it all pertains for putting the bike back to show room specs.

I've read 104mm for dirt bikes or at least heavy dirt riding and 93 for our KLX seems like a sweet spot.

Perhaps I should reduce the amount of compression on the rear which would reduce the slamming or bucking but then leave or slightly increase the rebound so the spring is controlled when it drops out after compressing more???

Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

kind of helps to have two people to do sag adjustments...front, you can use zip ties to measure...the rear, you kind of need help to measure and also to watch the rebound and hold the bike for you too....i fiddled around with the sag adjustment after some freeway wiggles at high speed....just couldn't get it right...

i finally went to evolution motorcycle in santa clara and paid the $40 to have my suspension adjusted...best $40 i spent....i'm confident at all speed now and my klx is stable through almost anything....i had them set it up more for pavement and freeway, so it's stiffer...it's fine for fire roads and dirt trails....but, for the rough bumpy stuff and small leaps, it destroyed my last set of sf wheels...

Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
Yeah, I have that and the FSM. I guess I know where to to make the adjustment but I have no idea how to tune for results if that makes sense. The one thing I couldn't find is what the rear sag should be. I've read a few things in the FSM and it tells you specs, how to adjust things and service limits. But it all pertains for putting the bike back to show room specs.
The general guideline is to set the shock sag at 1/3 of total travel and the forks sag at 1/4 of total travel. But, you must have the correct weight springs for YOUR riding weight.

If you're anywhere near Hayward, I can give ya a hand.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

sf bay area mini group ride?...

Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm down, I'm actually going for a ride tomorrow morning with another KLX'er and a buddy with a CRF250L. The KLX guy is a total newbie so I'm not sure where we'll end up but you guys are welcome to join. FYI it might be a south bay ride because the newbie is on a permit still.

If the 1/3 rear sag is a good rule of thumb then at 9.1 total travel I should shoot for 76mm...being at 85 it would make sense that my bike has sagged a bit since it was new.

More sag makes it more or less stable???

Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

time and address of meeting place?...i don't mind making a trip to the south bay tomorrow for a ride....

Old 01-31-2014, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
... More sag makes it more or less stable???
I suspect that too much sag would have a negative effect on handling, the back would be low changing the steering geometry. With the help of your new riding buddies you'll have your bike suspension tuned in no time. The stock springs might be just right for you. Once you get that rear sag set and a bit of tweaking of the shock settings: fun, fun,fun!!

Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
time and address of meeting place?...i don't mind making a trip to the south bay tomorrow for a ride....
I'll PM you later. I'll talk to my buddies tonight after work and see what the plan is.

I'm just thinking when I adjust things I'd rather error on the side of stability. lol

Old 01-31-2014, 08:40 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
So, who does this revalving and what's a guesstimate on cost for it?
Mark, knowing you, you'd buy the parts and do it yourself. It's not hard. You can get the Race Tech Gold Valve kits from various vendors and John at Moto Pro supplies excellent kits too.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

When I bought the bike last year the first thing I noticed was that it would really beat you up when trying to get aggressive off road. I check and adjusted the sag on both ends and tried to adjust out the harshness on the front end but it just didn't help. I finally bought a set of gold valves and set them up to Race-Techs suggestion. Completely transformed the bike-the front end sticks where I want it and eats up the gnarly sections without trying to snap my wrists off. Do the forks and it will change the bike.

Quick Reply: Dare I start a suspension thread....