Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   CVK Carb daiphram (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/cvk-carb-daiphram-38980/)

cegusman 09-28-2012 02:25 PM

CVK Carb daiphram

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone else know where to find a replacement diaphragm for the stock cvk carb. Dealer wants $115. If I have to spend that much I will just wait until I can afford the Mikuni TM33 Carb from bill.

Thinking a small knick\cut on the outer edge is causing my hard start issues.

Brewster 09-28-2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by cegusman (Post 483011)
Thinking a small knick\cut on the outer edge is causing my hard start issues.

The slide is in the down position when you try to start the engine. The diaphragm is not "active" at that time so a leak in the diaphragm is not likely the cause of your hard starting problem.

Ride on
Brewster

ahnh666 09-28-2012 03:45 PM

spark plug starting to go bad....valves clearance starting to go out of spec...weak battery....some of my experiences with hard starts...

TNC 09-28-2012 03:54 PM

cegusman, when it does start now after some of your other tweaks I saw in your past post, how does it run? Is your problem now only related to starting? I just looked at your other post, and I may have missed where you checked your valve clearance. How many miles on your bike overall and since your last valve check? Brewster's right about the diaphragm not affecting your starting. You've been tinkering with the carb a bit, obviously, so do you know how your idle screw that controls the position of the throttle butterfly is set? I'm thinking you could have the idle adjustment set where the butterfly is completely closed...perhaps? Do you know what your "real" fuel level is inside the carb?...not the float level. Have you used a clear plastic tube on the drain spigot to check your actual fuel level in the carb?

cegusman 09-28-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 483026)
cegusman, when it does start now after some of your other tweaks I saw in your past post, how does it run? Is your problem now only related to starting? I just looked at your other post, and I may have missed where you checked your valve clearance. How many miles on your bike overall and since your last valve check? Brewster's right about the diaphragm not affecting your starting. You've been tinkering with the carb a bit, obviously, so do you know how your idle screw that controls the position of the throttle butterfly is set? I'm thinking you could have the idle adjustment set where the butterfly is completely closed...perhaps? Do you know what your "real" fuel level is inside the carb?...not the float level. Have you used a clear plastic tube on the drain spigot to check your actual fuel level in the carb?

Yeah it is only a starting issue. Once the bike is warm, it runs like it always had. Hour after it is shutdown\cooled down it starts right up no choke. Its just when cold.

Used to be fuel on, choke pulled, and a slight bit of throttle and it would start in within 2-3 seconds of cranking. Now fuel on, choke pulled, play with throttle until you hear motor hit sweet spot where it wants to start. Sometimes 1/4 throttle/1/2 throttle, its never the same and you have to keep playing with the throttle.

Once started, it sometimes idles as it should on choke. 3k-4k rpm Others it will idle up like it should but then slowly idle down until it dies. Once dead I can not get it to restart unless i drain the carb. Idle screw was checked yesterday. 2 1/2 turns out as DynoJet recommended.

Bike has maybe 3k-4k miles on it. Plug looked good but I will replace it. Valves have not been checked yet. I will do that tomorrow.
Anyone have the part number for the upgraded spark plug?

I have not check the real fuel level, yet.

I did notice two cracked welds in my FMF header and slip-on. Don't think that would cause the problem though. Once bike is running I will get a friend to weld them up.

ol'klx-er 09-28-2012 07:11 PM

I thought the throttle was to be left alone when starting? Opening the throttle reduces the amount of vacuum pulling fuel through the starter jet (choke).

Neutral, pull choke, hit the button = vroom vroom.

ahnh666 09-28-2012 07:14 PM

you just described exactly how my bike was before i did the valve check and had to replace the shims....but, i had 8,600 miles...

NGK IX Iridium spark plug part # CR8EIX - https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-review-14702/

Originally Posted by cegusman (Post 483038)
Yeah it is only a starting issue. Once the bike is warm, it runs like it always had. Hour after it is shutdown\cooled down it starts right up no choke. Its just when cold.

Used to be fuel on, choke pulled, and a slight bit of throttle and it would start in within 2-3 seconds of cranking. Now fuel on, choke pulled, play with throttle until you hear motor hit sweet spot where it wants to start. Sometimes 1/4 throttle/1/2 throttle, its never the same and you have to keep playing with the throttle.

Once started, it sometimes idles as it should on choke. 3k-4k rpm Others it will idle up like it should but then slowly idle down until it dies. Once dead I can not get it to restart unless i drain the carb. Idle screw was checked yesterday. 2 1/2 turns out as DynoJet recommended.

Bike has maybe 3k-4k miles on it. Plug looked good but I will replace it. Valves have not been checked yet. I will do that tomorrow.
Anyone have the part number for the upgraded spark plug?

cegusman 09-28-2012 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er (Post 483041)
I thought the throttle was to be left alone when starting? Opening the throttle reduces the amount of vacuum pulling fuel through the starter jet (choke).

Neutral, pull choke, hit the button = vroom vroom.

When I say sight throttle. I mean just enough to move the butterfly on the carb. When it ran fine it would start with no throttle at times.

cegusman 09-28-2012 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ahnh666 (Post 483042)
you just described exactly how my bike was before i did the valve check and had to replace the shims....but, i had 8,600 miles...

NGK IX Iridium spark plug part # CR8EIX - https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-review-14702/

Looks like I will do valves this weekend. Hope that is it.
I will say it has seen 4K hard miles.

TNC 09-28-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by cegusman (Post 483050)
Looks like I will do valves this weekend. Hope that is it.
I will say it has seen 4K hard miles.

When you have the valve cover off, inspect the KACR for freedom of movement, missing spring, or anything odd looking when you're in there.