Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cruiser

I have a KLX 250Sfor those days I need to ride into the hills. I've been itching for a cruiser (Like a Harley 883 Sportster), but after I read the story about the Harleys, I'd be a little embarrased getting a Harley. Can someone recommend an alternative? I'm not a big guy, and I was looking at something in the 800 cc to 900 cc size. Thanks

Old 07-28-2007, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cruiser

Most of us just patrol the joint looking for someone to say something stupid and then jump on them.
It's fun. It's what we do.

Forget the cruiser and get a real adventure bike, i.e., KLR650, KTM 950 Super Enduro R, etc. Join an adventure riding club, pack your bags and head to Alaska, Baja, Tierra Del Fuego. Go to http://www.advrider.com because if you don't, twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore, dream and plan the adventure of a lifetime.

In the end, it is all about the stories. - Trip

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, “DAMN, what a ride!!â€

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

"Nothing is worth doing unless it has potential to f*ckup your whole life"

Old 07-28-2007, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

If you do get a Harley, Don't go for the 883, It's considered a Chick bike.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:29 PM

There's a lot of options for you. You need to decide if you want ot go slow, or really enjoy a twisty road and occasionally scoot up ot triple digits. A crusiser won't do the later, but it's more comfortable and with a fairing has good wind protection.

For crusisers the Vulcan 900 looks prtty good. It's Fuel Injected, makes good power but not too heavy. I also likethe looks of the Yamaha V-Stars. The Honda's don't impress me. I don't know much about the Suzuki's.

If you still want ot go the American route. I've seen great reviews on the Buell Ulysses. It's supposed to be one of the best all around bikes. Some off-road capability, Comfortable enough for sport touring, Great handling, big Harley sourced V-twin, excellentoptional luggage. In a couple sport touring reviews, only the BMW R1200RT and Honda ST1300 (all out trouring bikes) beat it.

I've considered crusiers several times, but in the end they are too narrowly focused for me,almost the same way the KLX is or was.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

My dad's bike looks like a cruiser but its a wolf in sheep's clothing. 84 Honda V65 Magna. 1100CC v4 with a 100 HP at the wheel. The other day I lefta stoplight behind a group of 3 bikes, less than an 8th mile later I had shot around them and was running 105 before I realized it. If it wasn't for the dished seat that sucker would throw you off when you run it up to 10K. The only bike like it on the market now is the Yamaha V-max.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

My dad's bike looks like a cruiser but its a wolf in sheep's clothing. 84 Honda V65 Magna. 1100CC v4 with a 100 HP at the wheel. The other day I lefta stoplight behind a group of 3 bikes, less than an 8th mile later I had shot around them and was running 105 before I realized it. If it wasn't for the dished seat that sucker would throw you off when you run it up to 10K. The only bike like it on the market now is the Yamaha V-max.
You are so right! My brother has had 2 V65 Magnas and they were Faaassssst machines. Especially for their time. Oil problems in the top end so be careful buying a used 1. http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/V65magna.htm

Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

Dude the V65 Magna and the V65 Sabre were monsters in their day. They were called muscle bikes and when the V-Max came out, I think they coined the term power cruisers.Kawi made the Eliminator andSuzuki made theugly duckling Madura. Other than the name, these bikes have nothing in common with lame asscruisers. They sported powerful V4s instead ofsome crappy old V-Twin. V65 Magna was the bike that really started that class.Those V4swith Kerkerpipessounded almsotlike small blockChevys, especially the V-Max.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:45 AM

check out the new kawi vulcan 900 custom. very sweet and priced right.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I've seen great reviews on the Buell Ulysses. It's supposed to be one of the best all around bikes
Yes,supposed to be a very nice bike from what i've hear about them.I have been shopping myself and this and a KTM along with 2 other pure street only bikes are my options.....The Buell is very appetizing.....

Old 07-29-2007, 02:58 PM

No ot burst any one's bubble, but I have to laugh a little when I hear people describing the Magna or V-max. No doubt they are fast, soem of the fastest in their era, but time has marched on and i think they give the sensation of speed due to the more upright seating position, but don't be mistaken, any of the new 1000cc sportbikes are 200lbs lighter, and make around 160HP at the rear wheel with shorter gearing. Heck, a top gear60-80 roll-on with the GSXR1000 is2.5seconds and run the 1/4 under 10! THe V-max is 3.7 seconds and it's 1/4mile is only 11.3. Any 600cc sportbike with beat it, and even my BMW Touring bike turns an 11.6 and has a 4.1 secondroll on. Enough to easily deflate the ego's of any cruiser rider that thinks they're fast.

I had a ZX9R, it was fast, but I still remember riding an '03 GSXR1000 (they are much faster now mind you) and I was tooling aroudn in 3rd gear at 60mph, I got on it and I'm catapulted ot 120mph, so I figure "why not", I grab 4th and it's quickly rolling past 140 and still pulling hard!

But alas, sportbikes are too uncompromising in their mission. Trying ot ride long distances is driving a Dodge Viper in the snow. Sure you can do some modifications and make it work OK, but that's not it's mission in life. This is precisely why I eventually stopped fooling myself and bought a sport touring machine that leans toward touring. Of all the miles I ride, most are inevitably on the freeway. So now I cruise in complete comfort, but can still play in the twisties. With a passenger, it's faster in the twisties than any sportbike I had.

Quick Reply: Cruiser