Consolidated Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Default Consolidated Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

Okay, here's the deal with this...

Lets let everyone who runs an aftermarket exhaust come post their personal experience with the pipe now that they have given it some mileage (maybe a repacking) and get everyone's thought in one thread. For the sake of the new guy wanting a little help, we will *NOT* point out how ****ty everyone else makes exhausts, only what our very own experiences are.

Throw in a picture, give us an idea how loud it is, if the header is stock, any aspect that one might have questions about.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Consolidated Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

Big Gun Evo X Exhaust System (head pipe & silencer) with Vortex Insert

[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif] Good fit, straight bolt-on, no issues
[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif] Engine revs faster and stronger throughout RPM range
[sm=smiley20.gif] I like the styling, no bluing of the head pipe (not a big factor with me ... other systems look good, too.)
[sm=smiley20.gif] Sound level is Ok with the Vortex Insert (I don't like noise, and it's obnoxiously loud with just the Race Core Insert - IMO)
[sm=smiley12.gif] I've had no issues with over tight or loosening screws, although other people have.
[sm=smiley22.gif] Needs to be repacked, possibly/probably more than other exhaust systems
[sm=smiley29.gif] The Big Gun Warranty is a friggin' joke
[sm=smiley21.gif][sm=smiley21.gif][sm=smiley21.gif][sm=smiley21.gif][sm=smiley21.gif] Big Gun's Customer Service is excruciatingly painful to deal with

Bottom Line: I would not buy another Big Gun system - there are many other good systems out there, so dealing with Big Gun isn't worth the torment and frustration.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:40 AM

Here's something to get us started:

I paid $240USD for the HMF Slip on exhaust, through www.powersportsfx.com. I have strong su****ion that they simply order through HMF, as it took several weeks before I recieved my exhaust. Shipping however was 'free'. It arrived well packed with a new clamp for the stock header, a longer bolt where the muffler clamps to the frame, a spacer to move the exhaust away from the rear fender and washer to protect the aluminum exhaust. The installation was straight forward and easy. I did use a washer along with the spacer to scoot the exhuast away from the rear fender. At stock setup, a rivet touches the plastic, I found it didnt melt anything but I preferred a slight gap.

I had already done the 'free mods' with a rejet and KDX 200 snorkel. I felt this modification made the bike run a lot better, and sound healthier with what little noise it was making. When I slapped the pipe on, I really didn't expect much performance, only better sound. I found it probably doubled the effect of the previous modifications in the low and midrange power, and really showed up in the top end. It took my bike to a level where it could float the front tire in almost all situations it handled a lot better and kept me out of several wrecks. I was not riding wheelies everywhere, but I was getting the weight to the rear when I needed too.

With no quiet core in the exhaust, it was LOUD. I threw in the USFS spark arrestor several days later and it took out the 'bite' of the exhaust note. It went from a painful loud when I laid the throttle open, to an aggressive growl that isn't so hard on the ears. It was appearant to those not on the bike as well. It would still probably wake the neighbors and get some attention to someone who didn't agree that loud pipes save lives

Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 AM

I too am running the HMF slip-on exhaust.

After the work HMF and specifically MotoZ did with the write-up and inclusion of dyno data to support his exhaust, I decided it was for me.

By joing the HMF Forums (for free) I was intitled to a $20 discount on my purchase. I opted to order the Quiet Core / Spark Arrestor insert. According to their published data, with that insert in it is 80 db at idle and 89 db at WOT. This is a single db higher than stock. The exhaust note is a much deeper bass note than the "Briggs and Stratton" sound the stock exhaust puts out.

I can feel the extra flow simply by standing behind the bike while it is running.

With the exhaust and my CVK jetted with a #128 main, #40 pilot and an N1TC needle with the clip on the 2nd slot, the bike was faster than stock. I'm impressed with the fit, finish and sound of the product. It is also available in colors.

I have NOT done the "Flange Mod" as of yet. It is coming.