Confused about sag settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Confused about sag settings

Compression damping I get. Hard or soft. Same goes for rebound.

But the sag....Do I increase or decrease if I think I'm too heavy for the current setting?

I guess my concern is that the back end looks slammed while I'm sitting on it. The bike feels ok, but it's my first bike and I have nothing to really go by except a gz250 at the MSF

I understand how to measure, sag should be 1/3 of the difference between rider loaded and the bike up on a stand-full up of the spring.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Compression damping I get. Hard or soft. Same goes for rebound.

But the sag....Do I increase or decrease if I think I'm too heavy for the current setting?

I guess my concern is that the back end looks slammed while I'm sitting on it. The bike feels ok, but it's my first bike and I have nothing to really go by except a gz250 at the MSF

I understand how to measure, sag should be 1/3 of the difference between rider loaded and the bike up on a stand-full up of the spring.
I set sag at 100mm.
If you when you sit on it the bike sags too much, bike drops by more than 100mm, then you need to increase the preload.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I put mine at 10cm but I think I'm gonna back it off to like 11cm. It seems like I'm being "dumped" forward all the time. I'm constantly pushing back on the bars and its giving indian burns to my rear end.
________
Uggs

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

19.5" loaded with me
21" just the bike on the ground
23" with the bike on a stand.

I saw somewhere sag should be 1/3 of the difference of one of these....

I think I need to turn that preload counter-clockwise a couple turns.

What is stock setting (in clicks) on front fork compression dampening?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/suspension.html

This link about suspension set up and maintenance from PlanetKLX is very good.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AgoosSS
http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/suspension.html

This link about suspension set up and maintenance from PlanetKLX is very good.
M0-24 minus M1-20.5 equals 3.5 inches=89mm

Looks like i just need to knock that ring up (CCW) a few turns to get in the 90-100mm range, right?

OK the last step, M2=22"

Subtract M2 from M0, that's 24 minus 2= 2"=50.8mm

The site says this last part should be from 25mm to 35mm. How far off am I?

All I need to do is turn the ring counter clockwise until M2 is around 1 inch. Right? The first measurement of 89mm is a little off, site says should be 90-100mm

Old 08-30-2008, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Sag is necessary so your rear wheel can be pushed into a hole/rut/whoop, while your bike remains level. If you had no sag on the rear spring the bike with you on it will track every part of the terrain your on instead of the wheel while bouncing up and down. Same goes for the front.
Clear as mud.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

It depends on how far back you are sitting. Sag should be based on standing on the pegs. This splits your weight between the front forks and the rear springs. If you sit behind the seat strap, of course it's gonna look like you're doing a wheelie. No offense but, Get off your @ss man.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Watch DirtBike television season1 episode 1 The owner of WER industries shows and tells the hows and whys of setting up the suspension.(on the KLX250)

Sag should be around 100mm with the rider sitting sa far forward on the seat holding the handle bars lean so wehen you look down you are directly looking over the cross bar on the handle bars...Better Yet watch the vid he explains it better!!lol

Ken

Old 08-31-2008, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
It depends on how far back you are sitting. Sag should be based on standing on the pegs. This splits your weight between the front forks and the rear springs. If you sit behind the seat strap, of course it's gonna look like you're doing a wheelie. No offense but, Get off your @ss man.
So many conflicting ways, do it while sitting, do it while standing, do it while humping the handle bars.

Who sits behind the seat strap?

Quick Reply: Confused about sag settings