Colorado Trip Preperations

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

The Gaz doesn't always distinguish well enough between a major hiking trail vs. a dual-use motorized trail, however.
That is very true. As I said in my post above I have some GIS Shapefiles from the forrest service as well as Colorado Roads that I have downloaded. With a lot of effort I can turn these into KML files and then to GPX files.

As far as testing the links it is really easy. You just open Google Earth, and in the Add menu item select the Network Link item and then just paste one of the HTML links in between the parenthesis. I just want to see if it works for others besides myself.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I have copied pages out of my Gazetteer for trail maps. Pretty good maps, and no biggie if you ruin it. My buddy, TNC steered me towards the Latitude 40 maps. I just got my new Colorado front range map in the mail from them last week. Very nice maps. Can't wait to put it to use next week Latitude 40 Maps
Dan

Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oh...I see where you're headed with that, foos. I will try to plug that in and report. And Dan...the other Dan...those Lat 40 maps are the best for off roading compared to anything out there IMO. They just don't cover everything of importance in CO. I like how they differentiate between the different trails of all kinds. Motorized singletrack is even broken down to those that allow ATVs and those that don't. Excellent maps.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Landon, what specifically do you need to know? I may know every trail or 2-track you list or know enough about them to steer you right. If you have a question, ask it here. I'd rather keep it in the open post as others might also have insight about your questions, and others might be thinking about a similar trip.
I got what I needed. When looking at different post it seemed everyone called the trails by names such as Lost Creek Trail. You gave me a general idea of that location when you posted but as you noted the Forest maps only list numbers. I was trying to find something that would connect the name such as Lost Creek Trail to the FS#. Lost Creek = 821 for example. I finally stumbled across these couple of links that provided that information:

Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison Trails

Rio Grande Trails

I then took my Forest Service maps and these websites and created a nice list of Trails in the Lake City Area that has the trail name, number, and length on the list.

I still need help locating McKenzie Stock Driveway and Jarosa Mesa that you guys mentioned.

I tried attaching my list but it says the Excel file is invalid.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

McKenzie is reached by taking FR532 east off of hwy 149 a few miles south of LC. McKenzie is FT804. That side trip to Bristol Head peak is awesome.

On Jarosa Mesa, at Spring Creek Pass on hwy 149...just south of LC...you take FR547 to the east and go to a short singletrack FT3322 to the north. You can either take FR473 back to hwy 149 or keep going north to hit hwy 149 further up.

Beware looking at some maps that show a trail but don't explain if the trail is motorized or not. It may look like you can keep going to make a connection down some of these trails, but they become hiking trails only. The routes I've explained on these posts were motorized the last I saw them and still show to be on my maps. The forest service will sometimes change things quickly, however.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

The first image shows the location of the McKenzie Stock Driveway
Name:  McKenzieStockDriveway.png
Views: 49
Size:  1.15 MB

This image shows the Jarosa Mesa and the LaGarita Stock Driveay. I think the part of Jarosa Mesa that is closest to Lake City is a road called Sawmill RD.
Name:  JarosaMesa.png
Views: 81
Size:  1.23 MB

Beware looking at some maps that show a trail but don't explain if the trail is motorized or not. It may look like you can keep going to make a connection down some of these trails, but they become hiking trails only.
Thad are you referring to the Continental Divide Trail and or the Colorado Trail which I believe both go through the area from Lost Creek Trail all the way through the Lagarita Stock Driveway.

Here is a photo of Bristol Head from Road Canyon.

Dan

Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Is McKenzie an out and back then? Or does it connect by taking FR532 off 149 near LC to McKenzie and come out near Creede?

Is Bristol Head an out and back off McKenzie???

Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
McKenzie is FT804.
I am not seeing FT804 on the Forest map.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Landon
Is McKenzie an out and back then? Or does it connect by taking FR532 off 149 near LC to McKenzie and come out near Creede?

Is Bristol Head an out and back off McKenzie???
Yes, they're both out-and-back. People have different feelings about out-and-back trails, but frankly out in the boondocks like this, these trails usually give you a whole different flavor going both ways. Plus, the forest service has often killed many of the loop aspects of many of these great trails for some reason.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I found it. But can you confirm if its open the dirt bikes?

This link leads me to think its not...

McKenzie Trail 804

Quick Reply: Colorado Trip Preperations