Cold weather storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Cold weather storage?

Right now I have my bike sitting in the garage & I run it about every 2 weeks for 15 minutes.
Any suggestions to protect it from the cold of a non heated garage. Maybe silicone spray for the fork tubes & a bike cover.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cold weather storage?

If you can, get the tires up off the ground and let the suspension decompress. I leave mine on my craftsman jack all winter.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Change the oil and DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE until you can ride it for at least 30 minutes. Starting it and letting it run for 15 minutes does more harm than good.

Add Sta-Bil to the fuel tank and fill it to the top.

Put air in the tires and either get them off the ground or move the bike every few weeks.

Battery on Battery Tender.

Oil the chain.

Check to be sure mice are not nesting inside the airbox before starting next year.

Since it is inside, no other protection is needed, other than a dust cover if you like, but it is better to use nothing so that moisture doesn't get trapped underneath.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I also "fogged" mine when I put her away for the winter[sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 12-07-2007, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marc11

Change the oil and DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE until you can ride it for at least 30 minutes. Starting it and letting it run for 15 minutes does more harm than good.
Would that hold true if you've stored it in a warm garage for the winter? During the winter I let mine run for about 30 minutes once every 2 weeks or month, but its a heated garage. Somtimes I'll even pull it out of the garage and drive it around the yard in the snow

Old 12-07-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes. The problem is at idle you cannot get the oil to all over the engine at full temp under the normal pressure as when riding and likewise the oil never really gets hot like it does when riding, so while some of the engine and oil is at normal opp temp, a lot is not and you will get condensation as the oil cools down. Also, used oil has acids inside it, created by combustion and other factors. These acids burn off during normal riding, but build up if you just start and let the bike run.

So, if you are going to start your bike, take it for a ride up and down the road for 15 minutes which will do much more good than just letting it sit there idling.

This is not my opinion, but the opinion of many many experts I have gathered over the years. So, best advice, change the oil and then do not start the bike unless you plan to ride it.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marc11

Add Sta-Bil to the fuel tank and fill it to the top.

Put air in the tires and either get them off the ground or move the bike every few weeks.

Battery on Battery Tender.

Oil the chain.

Check to be sure mice are not nesting inside the airbox before starting next year.

Since it is inside, no other protection is needed, other than a dust cover if you like, but it is better to use nothing so that moisture doesn't get trapped underneath.
+1

Drain the carb too (probably most important of all).

Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

DUDE, JUST RIDE IT!!!

[8D]

Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, or do what I do. Put in the Sta-Bil, ride the bike to the gas station, fill the tank to the brim, go home and change the oil. This accomplishes two things:

1) Runs Sta-Bil into the carb and fuel lines.
2) Warms up the bike for the final oil change.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

vlodpg, or you can ship it down here to Arizona and I'll make sure it stays plenty warm!

Quick Reply: Cold weather storage?