1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
+1. It's warm down HERE.
even warmer here

Old 11-27-2008, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by glava2876
I guess, I'm a little confused.
Why would you have to drain the carb to make it start better? I have many vehicles that could be used more, so I always use fuel stabilizer, so the gas is good.
It seems as though the bike is getting fuel, but it just doesn't fire -on either bike.
I know that my snowblower has a primer and that works well with the choke, but is needed because the carb sits lower than the intake port.
I had a 1972, polaris TX with twin carbs that started even at 0 F and I just sold it last year and it still started that way.
I had a 1977 Yamaha 400 XS that was a bear to start when it was cold, but it had points not CDI -I always thought that CDI's would always fire no matter what?
Since I can smell fuel, I'm thinking that the starter doesn't spin fast enough unless the battery is 100% and the battery may be undersized.
Is here a better battery with more cranking power.
Maybe a higher quality spark plug also? Has anyone had better overall starting with a higher quality spark plug?
Thanks,
Glen

Fuel stabilizer is not a cure-all for fuel issues on all machines. To give you an example, we have a snow blower at work that sits all summer. We always use stabilizer in it, but it won't start after sitting all summer until we drain the old fuel from the bowl, then let new gas in from the tank. By this action alone, the engine starts immediately.

The fuel in the tank sets just as long as the fuel in the carb bowl, but for some reason that small volume of fuel in the carb bowl is affected more. Theories abound as to why, but to say the problem is related to the ignition system is streching it a bit, don't you think? That would merely be compensating for something fuel related. Differences in carb set-up or design would be closer to the mark because there are some carbs that handle the problem better than others. Still, that would be compensating for something that changes in that small volume of fuel.

Not an issue with EFI since there is no bowl.

Anyway, you or I could sit, theorize and present arguments all day, but, at the end of that day, you can go out to your KLX, drain the carb bowl, let new fuel come-in and I'll bet you dollars to dougnuts, it will start right up....Stabil or not. Give it a try; what do you have to lose but a few cc's of gas?

Old 11-27-2008, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

You peeps are making this way too complicated...

Just rock your bike back and forth while you press the start button and off you go...Easy as that...Geeze.......

Rocco

Old 11-27-2008, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by f1rocco
You peeps are making this way too complicated...

Just rock your bike back and forth while you press the start button and off you go...Easy as that...Geeze.......

Rocco

It's only to prove a point, Sluggo, er I mean Rocco .

Old 11-28-2008, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

OK, as I said I was going to, I let the bike sit all week with an empty bowl and the battery tender on. I went out today (35 degrees at 9am, got down to 25 last night) Turned the petcock on, waited a little bit, then tried to fire it up. Turned it over for aprox 5 sec, no fire. Bike turning over a little slugish ( maybe from the thicker cold oil)
Second try I gave it a little rock front to back with the front brake on, while cranking. She fired up. Maybe it was going to start on the second try without the rocking, but I'm going to have to say +1 on rocking it. Rock out with your clock out

Old 11-28-2008, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Gotta be something with the float setting.......

During the summer I would start the bike with the choke and roll the bike to the edge of the driveway due to the noise and close houses to me...When I hit slope of the driveway the choke would die out...Like a float issue...

So when it got cold and wouldnt start out of anger I yanked the bike back and forth...Thinking I had a sticky float.........Started right up.....Been doing it everytime now...Has never failed...

Rocco

Old 11-28-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Ha ha anger is the mother of invention.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by f1rocco
Gotta be something with the float setting.......

During the summer I would start the bike with the choke and roll the bike to the edge of the driveway due to the noise and close houses to me...When I hit slope of the driveway the choke would die out...Like a float issue...

So when it got cold and wouldnt start out of anger I yanked the bike back and forth...Thinking I had a sticky float.........Started right up.....Been doing it everytime now...Has never failed...

Rocco
Haha! Well whatever works. It's kinda strange that Dan's won't start after filling an empty carb bowl. Usually that works every time. Are both of your bikes the 09? It would be great to see a bunch more guys try this now that it's getting cold.

I know that when I bought my 2006, the dealer, who's worked on KLX's for over 10 years, told me about getting new fuel into the bowl if it didn't want to start, so I've stayed with that and it has worked for me.

It's kinda weird how the same basic carb can vary from bike to bike.