Cold start/Riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cold start/Riding

Hello group,

I’m considering getting a KLX 300 and would want to upgrade the exhaust to a louder one, however, I know this will tick my wife and my neighbours off when I leave at 06:30 in the morning for work. Can I simply start the bike and leave immediately or does it require several minutes to warm up before a ride away?

Are there exhausts that are louder, but not crazy loud? I watched a YT video where a guy put a Delkevic on and it was very loud and also another one where a guy put on a Yushimura and it was also quite loud. I liked them both, sounded amazing … but a bit too loud I think for my situation.

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2023, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

A modded stock 2020 klx300r muffler sounds perfect to me

Last edited by Tacoma660; 04-11-2023 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

How do you mod a stock muffler?

Old 04-11-2023, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I had to cut around inch off the muffler pipe and remove the front mounting tab off the muffler. I then made a bracket mounts to the bike in the last two mounting points for the muffler to bolt in the middle of that. I can take a few pictures but the muffler with the insert changes the power characteristics of the bike to a more rev happy instead of tractor feeling

Old 04-11-2023, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Sure, thanks.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

For a pipe, the FMF Q4 is louder than stock but not LOUD.

As far as starting and riding away immediately, yup that would be fine. Don't rev it to redline immediately, or course, but these bikes, being fuel injected, run totally fine upon startup.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool, thanks. I suppose being fuel injected would allow for a quick start up & leave, as long as I drive easy and slow for the first minute or so.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hutchie
Cool, thanks. I suppose being fuel injected would allow for a quick start up & leave, as long as I drive easy and slow for the first minute or so.
Yup, that won't be a problem. I'd recommend running a synthetic oil for the better cold performance if you can. Not crucial, but won't hurt. Valvoline full synthetic 4T is a good option for a low price. Mobil 1 4T Racing as well. Or even Walmart SuperTech.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by greychinos
Yup, that won't be a problem. I'd recommend running a synthetic oil for the better cold performance if you can. Not crucial, but won't hurt. Valvoline full synthetic 4T is a good option for a low price. Mobil 1 4T Racing as well. Or even Walmart SuperTech.

Awesome, thanks.

Old 04-12-2023, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hutchie
Awesome, thanks.
No problem. To add to the oil discussion, I'm not sure if you're new to motorcycles in general or not, but you'll find lots of pricy options, some $50+ per gallon, like different oils from Maxima, Bel-Ray, Motul, etc. Are they good? Yes. Are they worth the money over Valvoline/Mobil/Castrol/"regular" oil brands? In my opinion, no. I'm running Vavoline full syn right now after having run Maxima Pro Plus+ for three oil changes in a row. The Valvoline is a lot cheaper and the positive shift feel has actually lasted longer than it did for Maxima each time.

Also, this is an opinion, but the manual for our bikes calls for 7,500 mile oil change intervals. But our bike only takes 1.1 quarts of oil. It's cheap enough to change the oil more frequently. I would never push it to 7,500, at least not for my personal riding conditions.

Last edited by greychinos; 04-12-2023 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold start/Riding