Cluth Lever

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cluth Lever

Hello,

So I have been slowly placing mods on my KLX250s, such as flush mounted rear turn signals, the acerbis handguards with the light kit, and the fold down mirrors. They all look great my the way. However, since my off road riding has been increasing lately I have noticed that my left ring and pinker finger are getting crushed by my long clutch lever. Since I only use two or three finges to pull the clutch in during intense riding/falling actions and the others to hold on for dear life, the finges left on the grip are getting crushed. So my question, finially, is this... Has anyone heard of or seen a short clutch and brake lever kit that will replace the factory ones? If so please let me know..

Thanks... Gravy Train

Old 01-11-2006, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cluth Lever

That's a new one on me. How about adjusting the clutch so it engages farther out from the grip?

Old 01-11-2006, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

That would slow me down but it still wouldnt stop me from squeezing the thing all the way to the grip and pinching my fingers in a holy crap situation. If you know what I mean. Maybe I just need more practice off roading...
Gravy Train

Old 01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you want a racing lever. No I have never raced, but I have just recently talked to a couple of guys that do, and they said that a lever that is 3 inches shorter allows more fingers around the grip when racing, turning sharp, or bouncing on the trails. Personally if I am having trouble holding on to the grips while shifting, then I'm probably going too fast or ridding beyond my skill, but that's just me. They do make a tool that shortens the lever, I think you have probably seen or heard of it, it's called a hacksaw,....LOL But seriously here are a few choices, but I would check with the dealer on the fit. http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search...20lever&page=1

If you do decide to cut the lever with a hacksaw, only take a little at a time. You know the old saying "You cut it three times and it's still too short" Also after you will probably want to put some sort of tip or file it so you don't cut you're hand on it if you go down. You know I was thinking for the price of new shorty, you might consider a machine shop. They could take you're factory, cut a section out, and add the rounded end back, plus you know it would be the right perch for you're bike.

And last but not least, is there a spell check that I have not been able to find? I really don't like having to proof read my posts 10 times before I push send. Oh yea and having to edit 3 more times after. Yea it the obsesive compulsive rearing it's ugly head, but that's just me. LOL

Old 01-11-2006, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Sounds like you want a racing lever. No I have never raced, but I have just recently talked to a couple of guys that do, and they said that a lever that is 3 inches shorter allows more fingers around the grip when racing, turning sharp, or bouncing on the trails. Personally if I am having trouble holding on to the grips while shifting, then I'm probably going too fast or ridding beyond my skill, but that's just me. They do make a tool that shortens the lever, I think you have probably seen or heard of it, it's called a hacksaw,....LOL But seriously here are a few choices, but I would check with the dealer on the fit. http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search...20lever&page=1

If you do decide to cut the lever with a hacksaw, only take a little at a time. You know the old saying "You cut it three times and it's still too short" Also after you will probably want to put some sort of tip or file it so you don't cut you're hand on it if you go down. You know I was thinking for the price of new shorty, you might consider a machine shop. They could take you're factory, cut a section out, and add the rounded end back, plus you know it would be the right perch for you're bike.

And last but not least, is there a spell check that I have not been able to find? I really don't like having to proof read my posts 10 times before I push send. Oh yea and having to edit 3 more times after. Yea it the obsesive compulsive rearing it's ugly head, but that's just me. LOL
Deej. ieSpell

Old 01-11-2006, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gravy Train

Hello,

So I have been slowly placing mods on my KLX250s, such as flush mounted rear turn signals, the acerbis handguards with the light kit, and the fold down mirrors. They all look great my the way. However, since my off road riding has been increasing lately I have noticed that my left ring and pinker finger are getting crushed by my long clutch lever. Since I only use two or three finges to pull the clutch in during intense riding/falling actions and the others to hold on for dear life, the finges left on the grip are getting crushed. So my question, finially, is this... Has anyone heard of or seen a short clutch and brake lever kit that will replace the factory ones? If so please let me know..

Thanks... Gravy Train
GT, my freinds just cut off ths ball ends. Keep in mind on the clutch side you have a notch in the lever for the lockout system, and on the brake side, you have the brake switch to deal with.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Tony, I will check it out. Most of the sites that I post in have the spell check as a button, but maybe this will work well too. Thanks again.

deej

Old 01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Thanks again Tony, now I have an icon in the bar at the top of the page. You're the man. Now I have to spell something wrong on purpose. Hmm not natural to spell wrong, mist fight compulsive tendencies. Oh wait a minute, It says that it is part of the Google tool bar, was that always there? Or is that the program? Now I'm confused, of course I'm always confused. lol

Old 01-11-2006, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

High lite your paragraph and that makes the Ispell work a little easier

Old 01-11-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually I wonder now if I have had a spell check in the Google tool bar all along? And I don't have to highlight anything, ans long as my cursor is in the post all I have to do is push the ABC button and it turns the spelled words red, and each has a drop down menu for correctly spelled words. Either way very cool.

deej