Clutch Replacement for 351

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Clutch Replacement for 351

Been a couple of seasons now on the 351 with Bills Pumper Carb and slightly modified stock exhaust, and the clutch is starting to feel a little mushy. Engagement seems to slip too much. Now I know most of you with the 351 have replaced the clutch or upgraded the springs at least so my question is what should I install that will be robust enough for the 351 while still maintaining the light clutch pull I love. FAQ'S have a couple of options from EBC and I remember Mr Dufactor putting in just 3 stiffer springs but what would you guy's suggest. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I did the EBC dirt rider kit with Barnett springs.
I suppose if the clutch feels too stiff, pull it back apart and change three springs?

Old 03-30-2017, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I did the EBC dirt rider kit with Barnett springs.
I suppose if the clutch feels too stiff, pull it back apart and change three springs?
+1 on this. Searched and found other forum members recommended this combo and its good. I also put on a moose easy pull thingy on the clutch cable. Not because of heavy pull but I added 2" bar risers and that gave me an extra 3" or so extension on the clutch cable.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Did the moose easypull thingy keep it relatively close to stock? ARL clutch replacement video measured pull to be increased by a couple of pounds with that clutch. Would sure like to keep the stock pull if possible. Thanks for the replys.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I didn't notice much difference if any. I haven't noticed fatigue on longer or technical rides.
If your getting an EBC clutch with Barnett springs though, it will be cheaper to try the above mentioned spring combo if you don't like the feel of 6 Barnett springs. Ultimately it's up to you, if you like tinkering, try the Barnett springs. If that's not what you want, try it with 3 springs swapped. If your still not happy try the easy pull if you can't find a better solution.You won't know what you'll like until you try it for yourself. I only used the easy pull because I wanted a quick fix cable extension. If anyone disagrees with me, I would consider their suggestion also. Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ozklx351
Yeah, I didn't notice much difference if any. I haven't noticed fatigue on longer or technical rides.
If your getting an EBC clutch with Barnett springs though, it will be cheaper to try the above mentioned spring combo if you don't like the feel of 6 Barnett springs. Ultimately it's up to you, if you like tinkering, try the Barnett springs. If that's not what you want, try it with 3 springs swapped. If your still not happy try the easy pull if you can't find a better solution.You won't know what you'll like until you try it for yourself. I only used the easy pull because I wanted a quick fix cable extension. If anyone disagrees with me, I would consider their suggestion also. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice, I will try both.