Clutch options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Clutch options?

cable = reliable

i've had too many cars with hydraulic failures on the clutch systems with problems bleeding all the air out because it can get pushed into many tiny bubbles that don't bleed out easily and the air pocket keeps you from getting enough throw.

no way i was actually planning to convert my last car to a cable clutch.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

don't even talk to me about bleeding out hydraulic clutches for anything...Ford's settup sucks *** for the F-superduty pickups...Our company has about 800 of these trucks and my favorites by far are our ancient (by todays standards) pre 1986 trucks with a cable or pushrod.....sure the systems work great when they work but after that the problems really stink.....and waste time.this is why every real class 8 truck (big rig) uses a cable or a pushrod linkage....mainly cables anymore....they work and they never need adjusting.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Truckman

don't even talk to me about bleeding out hydraulic clutches for anything...Ford's settup sucks *** for the F-superduty pickups...Our company has about 800 of these trucks and my favorites by far are our ancient (by todays standards) pre 1986 trucks with a cable or pushrod.....sure the systems work great when they work but after that the problems really stink.....and waste time.this is why every real class 8 truck (big rig) uses a cable or a pushrod linkage....mainly cables anymore....they work and they never need adjusting.
Cable clutch not needing an adjustment!? Did I skip something?

Personally I perfer the hydraulic over cable. Cable is simplier, but hydraulic gives constant feel through out its life. And yes, air bubbles are a b*tch to remove in the Fords. Not looking too forward on my Ranger.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

not to mention failed seals and moisture getting into the system causing failure always at thw worst time

i've never seen a cable system that doesn't need adjusting as the clutch wears but thats ok with me - adjustments takes 10 seconds.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

for me adjusting a cable clutch is as simple as one extra step each oil change - just check to make sure its adjusted right and if not adjust it. this also means you have an idea how muhc lifespan your clutch has left.

hydraulic systems give you no warning untill the clutch starts slipping.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

The pros adjust theirs while they have someR&R time--like in the air over a tripple.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

The pros adjust theirs while they have someR&R time--like in the air over a tripple.
No wonder we call them pro's.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

rekluse would be cool, only I don't think they make one for our bikes.
I often think I may haveto resort to one someday after a ride on the bike, I get home and feel like I have the wrist of an 80 year old

Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: green242

rekluse would be cool, only I don't think they make one for our bikes.
I often think I may haveto resort to one someday after a ride on the bike, I get home and feel like I have the wrist of an 80 year old
I tried a rekluse on mine. I ran with it for a few rides trying to convince myself it was great, but I decided I didn't like it and went back to the stock clutch. I admit though that I'm in the minority on this one - seems like a lot of folks swear by them, which is why I tried one in the first place. There are definitely some places where it makes things easier, though.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

The only time I'd like a Rekluse is when I bury the bike to the footpegs and am trying to push it out....like my snowbank jump attempt gone wrong last week[:@] I'm always worried about getting it unstuck only to have it ghostride off down the trail as with the 13/42 setup it has enough grunt to idle along with me on it, let alone riderless.

Quick Reply: Clutch options?