Clutch options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Clutch options?

So i noticed that my cable was starting to come apart today, its fraying at the lever[:@] Anyone put a hydrolic clutch on their 250 yet? if its way to expensive (i'm sure it is...) then i'll just stick with the old cables.

on my mountain bike i use a teflon coated cable, is there a manafacture that makes them for motorcycles? i like the teflon ones, there alittle thinner, resist dirt build up and somehow stay a little deejer, i mean cleaner.

went to mrcycles, found the cable... its like $11... I wanted to replace the lever houseing along with it becaue its alittle coroded and i dont want it wearing down a new cable twice as fast...

basically looking for better options then what it came with stock, any answers greatly appreaciated. thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Clutch options?

8.95$ for an oem cable from the stealer...I'm on my 2nd one in a year.The MSR lever i use has a weird angle with the lever pull setting in the center position.Mine wears at the same place as yours did.I change them before they break on me.Motion pro sells a good lined one but it's about 25$. IMO i don't think it will last any longer than the OEM cable because it's the end that is fraying.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

i found theese on bikebandit, if you realy want to go all out i know theres a $280 unbreakable mx lever perch. it spring loaced so if you dump the bike the leve bends out to prevent it from breaking anything. but i think theese will do fine to

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarke...099798+2099838

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A5074147

Old 02-10-2008, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pit-B...spagenameZWDVW

could i get that to work? maybe a longer line????

Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

the clutch on our bikes is a bit stronger than a clutch on a little pit bike so i would think that that would not work.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

figured... so guess its just OEM cable for now. i'm not in any rush to drop $300 on a hydro clutch.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM

You might want to checkout the ASV levers and perches. I think around $100 will get ya both. There unbreakable and the lever is springloaded, plus they give a 3 year guarantee on the actual lever, but say that you can bend them back.

Ive got a set sitting in the back of the store waiting on me!

As for cables, buy 2 cables. install one and zip-tie the spare to it along the route, that way when it breaks (never know when) all you have to do is install it at the ends and ride on.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...tId=&mmyId=

Heres a hydraulic clutch system for a KLX300r. Not sure it will work the same on a KLX250s. An hydraulic clutch sounds like a nice upgrade to do.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

i got just went with that set up from bikebandit that kx put up... and grabed an OEM cable. I just looked at my order confermation and it says i ordered one for a Sunline Clutch Perch, Black (Suzuki DRZ250 2004)??? are they mostly all the same anyway? same part diffrent name. sorry, not used to using bike bandit site yet.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

That perch will work for you.Myself i used the MSR pro-raptor shorty lever for my setup.The cable won't just break on you but i noticed it long before as it was starting to fray at the metal end of the cable as it rubbed right there.
honestly...A pre-ride inspection should catch this stuff....If you commute every day with the bike (I do) I check the cables weekly.Before every start up you stand up the bike to check the oil and you feel the tires ...leaving the driveway on a flat would suck!! and make you feel pretty dumb at the end of the road.You also always take a glance at the chain and check your lights....It's a pre-trip and you should always do it so you don't get stranded.Now items like cables i don't check every time but you do need to check them weekly or bi-weekly if you ride it every day.....It's part of riding.as i said i changed my clutch cable out when 3 or 4 strands were frayed ....preventive maintenance.

Quick Reply: Clutch options?