CLUTCH LEVERS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default CLUTCH LEVERS

Does anyone know of an aftermarket clutch lever for the klx250s. I have broken off the end **** off of two levers!!! , the stock levers are weak. I would like to keep the stock clutch base if possible, it has the safety switch in it.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:15 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: CLUTCH LEVERS

I use an ASV shorty lever, supposedly unbreakable - I love it.

Also, consider some handguards if you don't have them already - they can protect both your hands and your levers.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

do these have the wired in safety control like stock or did you bypass the wires? I know some of the after market clutch levers with base dont have these wires.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I bypassed the wires - I got a different perch also, so I can't say for sure if the lever will work on the stock perch, sorry.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: dmar

Does anyone know of an aftermarket clutch lever for the klx250s. I have broken off the end **** off of two levers!!! , the stock levers are weak. I would like to keep the stock clutch base if possible, it has the safety switch in it.

dmar,

It is not the fact that the stock clutch levers are weak, it is that they were never designed to support the weight of the bike when you drop it.

There are many ways to correct this deficit. The most popular is to install a set of aluminum handguards that will prevent the ends being broken off of the levers when the bike is dropped. If you ride in dirt enough, you will drop your bike!

Sorry, but this is about the best photo I have of the handguard available to me at this time. I think you can see how the lever is protected by the aluminum handguard. The bike has been down on several occasions and those at still the stock original equipment levers.

Name:  AcerbisInstalled5.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  102.2 KB

Old 10-30-2006, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: CLUTCH LEVERS --> Simple Lever Mod

I broke a clutch lever while out riding once. It was a low speed maneuver in soft dirt and the handlebar hit the only rock within yards of me. The lever itself bent a bit, but didn't break ... however, the clutch lever perch did, which made for a very interesting ride home! (I didn't have any hand guards on my KLR at the time).

I replaced it afterwords with a generic lever, but did a simple mod:

Drill a small hole in the middle of the lever, where it flattens out for your fingers. The lever typically has a thinner cross-section there, and the addition of the hole creates a stress concentration. If (when) you fall, the stress concentration will increase the likelihood that the lever will break at that particular point. It doesn't keep your lever from breaking (as a matter of fact, it does the exact opposite), but what it does for you is make sure that you've got at least half a clutch lever to get you home.

I added hand guards to my KLR shortly afterwords, so I can't tell you if the theory works.

If you don't have hand guards on your bike yet (which, BTW, I think is a pretty good idea), consider drilling a little hole in your levers. You never know ...

Mike