Clean Helmet Liner

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Clean Helmet Liner

Anyone have a good way to clean the inside liner of a helmet? "Non-Removable" Soap and water ?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I seem to remember some products made specifically for this purpose. I think the reason to consider one of those is the issue some have had with a reacation or irritation to the particular soap used. Many years ago I used Woolite to clean a non-removable line with pretty good results, and the stuff is supposed to be non-reactive to your skin, being that it's used on undies and other unmentionables...LOL!

There's a theory about helmet life to consider here that somewhat addresses cleaning. Sweat and use do break down a helmet's interior impact material over time. It's the "over time" part that fuels the great debate. How long does this take and under what kind of use. Regardless of having a removable/replaceable liner, that issue of the break down of the impact absorbing material concerns me a bit. I really don't know and claim no authoritative knowledge, but it's one reason I've resorted to buying good, inexpensive helmets and just replacing them when they get too funky inside. That's usually about 3 years. With UV, temperature, sweating, dirt, etc. that off road helmets are exposed to...even forgetting about small impacts...I just like moving on to another, clean, inexpensive, fresh looking helmet. But...nothing wrong with wanting to keep a quality helmet and keeping the inside's fresh if that's what you like.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(I think you're right^ TNC; I've heard three years also.)

Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I just spray in a little simple green, doesn't take much, and hose it out until there's no more soap or foam coming out, then prop it up next to a fan to dry it. Works good on the outside of the helmet too, as well as the whole bike. It works really well at taking off that dirt film layer that won't come off with the hose alone. No scrub brushes needed. Looks like new when you're finished.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I think you can use Simple Green as toothpaste, laundry soap, brake cleaner, chicken marinade, absinthe (in your cocktail), replacement lava lamp fluid, radiator coolant, ...pretty much everything. (NoBrakes) I love that stuff, too!!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, but for aftershave, it's a close toss-up between Simple Green and WD40, I gotta give the nod to WD40 on that one.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

this is not recommended...i just tried it because i didn't care too much about my helmet...i stuck the entire helmet in the dishwasher...hahaha...surprisingly...the liner was clean and the helmet was clean...no damage or scratches to the visor...i had done the same on my cheap road bike helmet before...it was disgusting with sweat, stains and salt...came out sparkling clean, so i was tempted to put the moto helmet too..hahaha

Last edited by ahnh666; 05-31-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Best way is to buy a better helmet - one with a removable liner.
It gets pretty dusty out west… If I had to replace a helmet every time the inside got dirty, I wouldn’t be able to afford to ride at all!!!
When I consider a helmet, it's a "must have" to get one that has replaceable parts such as liner, cheek pads, etc. When the foam breaks down in them, I replace them. That would be the soft foam that gives the helmet a tight fit… which should not be confused with the impact-absorbing material that usually consists of some type of Styrofoam substrate inside the shell.
For quick cleans – I use my shop vac and my air compressor. A couple times a year, I remove the liner and hand-wash it. Personally, I would not even attempt to clean (i.e. with any type of *liquid* cleaner) any liner that could not be removed! Getting it dried would be the issue – that’s what breaks down the soft foam.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Yeah, but for aftershave, it's a close toss-up between Simple Green and WD40, I gotta give the nod to WD40 on that one.
Let's not forget seafoam

Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Getting it dried would be the issue – that’s what breaks down the soft foam.
Kind of like when it's dripping wet with sweat from riding all day? Perhaps drying is an issue, but I'd think not cleaning out all the salts and oils would be worse on the foam than a good washing.

Quick Reply: Clean Helmet Liner