Clean chain--keep maintained

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:00 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb Clean chain--keep maintained

What do you guys put on your chains to clean it or maintain it?
--What mileage interval?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I always soak and scrub the chain in Paraffin (Kerosene in the US) then let it dry before lubricating. Don't use anything that will harm the rubber "O" rings.
Lubricating with WD40 or similar will destroy the "O" rings I am told.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I spray my down with simple green, brush and hose it off. Then relube with Belray clear. I do it when dirty- some times 20 miles other time 80-100 miles.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Standard O-ring chain maintenance. 90 weight oil if it is too dry. If the chain has become crusted too much then I use a paintbrush and diesel to clean it. The diesel fuel is a very effective solvent and is just a thicker kerosene. You need to dry the diesel off before lubing with 90 weight and then wipe off excess 90 weight if fling off bothers you. There are many commerical chain lube products that are less likely to fling off but none are as cheap or will last as long as a quart of 90 weight. Only worry about lubing the O-rings.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I clean the chain when I feel like it, which is about every 1,000 miles or after a wash. If the chain is gunked, I pull it off and let it sit in a pan of gasoline. Then scrub clean and let air dry. Followed by a good spraying of a chain lube (Royal Purple MaxChain).

Old 04-30-2010, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

So which way is better? Or is just by preference?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

another vote for kerosene (diesel would work too ) . I lube mine with a sticky chain lube.
Simple green sounds like it would work too. I'm not sure but gasoline may shorten the life of the O-rings.
Dan

Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09klx
So which way is better? Or is just by preference?
Huh? What are the choices? Keep it cleaned as/if needed with solvent and then lube the orings with one of several petroleum products. If your chain is noisy or kinky then you need to do one of these things more often.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Huh? What are the choices? Keep it cleaned as/if needed with solvent and then lube the orings with one of several petroleum products. If your chain is noisy or kinky then you need to do one of these things more often.
Well there were different options for cleaning it. Your way, cleaning with diesel, or simple green as well as others

Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

The following recommendations are based on using ChainGang products:

OFF ROAD
Where mud, water and sand is anticipated, lubing immediatly before or during a ride is not recommended. Surface lube will only attract dust and grit which if comes in contact with water will form a grinding paste - this is not good.
Therefore, we recommend servicing the chain "after" a ride.

Both chain and sprockets can be washed with the same detergents you would you on the entire bike. For a really thorough job, brush and flush the sprocket teeth and chain clean with kerosene (NOT petrols or thinners). Immediately after take take the bike out for a quick squirt to throw off any loose dirt and kerosene.

Next, apply a lube of your choice. Anything is suitable. The less "STICKY" or thick the better, as you don't want your chain and sprockets to attract dirt etc. the next time you ride.
We have found lightweight "cheap" spray lubes or dewatering fluids to be very effective. As always keep the chain adjusted to the manufacturers recommended "slack", and do not forget to have someone your similar weight sitting on it while you do it. A little on the loose side is better than too tight.

http://www.chaingang.com.au/maintenance.php

Quick Reply: Clean chain--keep maintained