Clarke tank fit and finish??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrailCruiser
Just wanted to add one more data point to this thread for those considering the Clarke tank. I received mine (clear) last weekend and installed it yesterday and went riding...
  • Fit and finish are overall excellent!
  • Main fuel tap does indeed sit very close to a frame cross member, but the tank shouldn't move. I'll keep my eye on it, I'm comfortable it's good as is.
  • Regarding the brass fuel taps that you remove from the stock tank and screw into the fittings on the Clarke tank: I found the smaller stock o-rings that nest into the grooves of both male and female gave a better seal than the larger o-rings that Clarke provides that don't nest. No leaks with the stock o-rings, and they fit perfectly.
  • Regarding the flange on the radiator shrouds that no longer fits under the seat, I trimmed mine off thereby showing a bit more of the tank which I consider my "fuel gauge". I plan to put some Sharpie marks at the varioius fuel levels so I can better manage fuel when out exploring in the sticks.
  • As others have mentioned the fuel cap already has a valve it so a simple piece of hose that dumps somewhere on the front side of the handlebars works just fine. Should Clarke provide a piece of tube just in the interest of completeness? Probably, no biggie though.
Sure is nice having that extra capacity, and being able to see it at a glance when deciding whether to go explore than one last trail/road!
Post some PICS!

I've spent too much on my Yamaha's restoration so show me some pics of this Clark tank so I can decide whether or not to buy it instead of Warp9 Rims and spoke kits for the Yamaha!