Chill out ppl

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Chill out ppl

What the hell is going on? Has it turned cold and frosty already for most folks and you can't get out and ride? Is it cabin fever that is making everyone so edgy lately? People snapping at each other, what's up?

It's a beautiful day here in NC, but I'm stuck inside working on a circuit for a customer. The prototype didn't work out too well, so I've got the soldering iron hot and I'm doing a McGyver on it to try and get it working. This is fun, but I'd rather be riding.

That's my excuse, what's yours?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

No excuse here

Just swapped my 13t for a 14t for winter....Went back to the stock plug and adjusted my mixure and bought new winter gloves for riding.....

Sundays weather here.....Low 30f degrees High is 50f and rain......And yup Im driving to work tomorrow...

Rocco

Old 11-08-2008, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

We're good here in Texas!

How's this for chillin?

Name:  ears.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  80.3 KB

Went for a ride today with two brothers that I meet on TT. They live just a few blocks away, and we meet in cyberspace!

Weather was fan-friggin-tastic today. High 60's, low 70's and just enough wind to keep some of the dust down.

John and Eli.

Name:  bros.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  132.6 KB

Charlie and John.

Name:  road-1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  108.3 KB

Eli on his XR650R.

Name:  eli.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  113.5 KB

Now that I look at it, we've got some funny town names around here... A quick 98 mile loop of dirt and paved roads.

Name:  gps_track.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  87.6 KB

It's hard to beat the dissonant beat that four thumpers make rolling down the road. Good for the body, good for the soul.

I didn't mean to turn this thread into a ride report! Just wanted to show ya that we got out and rode today before it turns cold and nasty.

Next...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

very nice man!!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Weather was gorgeous today, we did an entire lap of both the Little Creek and Hickman loops through Camp Livingston in the Kisatchie National Forest. ~33 miles of trail, messed around in the camp afterwards.

Name:  ForestServiceOHVMap.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  334.5 KB

I got air for the first time today, couple of them very good, level air. Not very high, but it still felt cool! And only dumped it a couple times, damn stock tires are utter and ridiculous B.S. anywhere but the pavement.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Good stuff TC and Cliffsta! Did you get out any today, F1?

Well, I got the circuit working and it looks like it will be a go. So I celebrated by getting in some more night riding. I had the helmet cam on and the video is downloading now so if it turns out I will post up some clips.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup I got out....

Threw on the Pittsburgh Steelers back pack with a load of laundry in it and did laundry with some hotties down the road....Then met the old lady after work for dinner with her friends..Maybe 30 miles total..Not Much......Was pretty cold with a Carhart style jacket and just a tee shirt..My new winter gloves were flawless..

Got the 14t back on and feels great along with the new stock plug and carb adjusted...I tried a dead start wheelie but need to remember to add an extra 700 rpmz because of the 14t vs the 13t...I only got her up a foot....Plus my gloves are a bit bulky and I didnt want to get carried away.......

I feel good about my ride to work tomorrow......Cold and Rainy and probably 34F minus the windchill at 80 mph......But hey after that the rest of my day has to be easier and warmer.......lol...

Also

Today I bought a set of spiked/tacked tires and a cylinder jug from a member here so Im on path for some frozen lake runs and an end of winter Big-Bore mod....Yippee...

Rocco

Old 11-08-2008, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Just amazed how cheap gear could be

Local Walmart 1 piece insulated all black suit...$48
1 can of spray to seal the suit stiffer then wallboard...$8
Steel Toe winter boots...$38
Pullover head windblocker....$20
Cycle winter Gloves.....$11...Thanks dealer buddy for the 70% off hook up......
Neoprene mask...........$12.....

Im just in love with the garbage wet cold weather....

Get all the winter gear you need to stay warm for around $150.....How can ya go wrong.....An excuse to leave the house and your Wife/GF wont think anything of it except that me/we/you are an idiot....

After a thaw everything is muddy and snowy...After a blizzard we are burried in snow....I might even go back to stock jetting and stock pipe for our average 120+ " of snow season...Id really love to see 70 mpg again for a few months to fall in love with the bike 1 more time.....

I really want an additional 2k miles this year...........

Rocco

Old 11-09-2008, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't ride much when it gets real cold around here. Around 35F or so, I take the cage.

When I've got stuck in cold weather when doing long trips and traveling light; I do the old hobo trick to stay warm. Get some newspapers and put then under your jacket if you have one, or your shirt if you're traveling real light.

Yeah, you can stick them down your pants legs too if needed.

I don't envy your winters, rocco. Ours are usually cold and dry. Usually.

But you're right, cold ain't bad as long as you're warm.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
I got air for the first time today, couple of them very good, level air. Not very high, but it still felt cool!
Woot! It's a rush, ain't it!? Cool deal.

How close are you to this...?

http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32424

Looks like a fun ride. Wish I could make it.

Quick Reply: Chill out ppl