Checking in from Thailand, Laos, etc on the KLX

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Checking in from Thailand, Laos, etc on the KLX

Greetings all. Its me checking in from Thailand on the ole KLX.

Well the ole girl has got almost 30k on her now. Loads of everything that this bike can do. Racing super motard at the go kart track, Off rtoad travelling through laos, Cambodia, and Thailand. Tight singletrack enduro trails and even some pavement travelling when bored.

Some southeast asian singletrack. No whoops here.

So far the ole girl is doing relatively well. I've documented my troubles in previous posts and lately not any issues. One of my Commair computer type fans cooling the radiatordied so I replaced it with a cheap thai one and its working well so far.

Enjoying the KLX in supermotard trim. Great fun on tight canyon roads. Dragging pegs on a dirt bike is a laugh.

For those that have Bill Blues Mikuni carb i found something that needed addressing. The squirter was directing fuel into the side of the bellhousing instead of directly into the throat of the carb. This ends up with sub par throttle snap. Needle nose pliers turned the nozzle into the correct position. A bit better but still not a substitute for an FCR carb i beleive from my humble opinion.

Also the (off)roads of Cambodia have finally shagged the shock. I've never come across roads as bad. The roads have more potholes than road. Its like riding over a cheese grater with every hole being a 12 inch deep pothole two feet wide.

Rush hour in the back woods of Thailand. The gals family just bought the cow and its being shuttled back to the house. Loads of villages off in the hills.

High end housing options as alternative to my native southern california housing prices.

A helicopter landing pad in the jungle on the Thai/myanmar border. The thais try to stop the heroin from making the crossing.

Muffler support bracket snapped in Cambodia and soft bag luggage mount cracked in half (that 80 KPH high side into the trees had nothing to do with it .

One part broke that I cannot replace over here. I am wondering if any of you Japan bound people could assist me with a part number if possible. the japanese spec bikes have a neat digital guage instead of the north american bikes dual analog guages. Inside the odometer hub (attached to front wheel hub) is a metal machined flange that counts the rotations of the wheel. This part has shattered and scattered in laos. Hence no recording of mileage for my important fuel stops over here. Since the Garmin GPS 60 CX also took a **** calcing mileage is quite awkward and I'd love to have this feature back. Any chance one of you gents could track down a part number for this puppy? I know a lady (oh don't we all ) in japan that could ship it to me if i could get some help in locating the part or part number. So all KLX freeks can a brother wave his hand for some assistance if we have some Japanese located gents on the board. Thanks in advance.

After taking this bike through 3 countries and all types of conditions I can with confidence recommend this bike as a do it all bike. All is not peaches and cream though. the bike is a lard ***, at least 30 pounds too heavy for what it is. It also has no low end. I'm betting its more an engine design characteristic (bore/stroke). I have the 300 jug and pumper carb and its still a wheezer down low. Upper RPM's though are its forte. Strong clean pull through the upper RPM's.I have tried jetting all the way from 38-55 on the pilot, needle adjustments, and 128-155 on the main and its still not pulling down low well.

Its got plenty of cooling capacity as demonstrated by tight jungle first gear warefare in 90 degree heat and 100 percent humidity without boiling over.

Towing the KLX out of the jungle after drowning it in a 4 foot sinkhole and never getting it restarted despite drainin the quart of water from airbox and cylinder. here's when you want a kickstarter. when the battery dies. Snotty muddy trails make for impossible bump starting.

Here's hoping you guys are enjoying the KLX.

If anybody could shed light on the part i need in the odometer hub i would greatly appreciate it. Again thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Checking in from Thailand, Laos, etc on the KLX

ORIGINAL: Team FTB

Inside the odometer hub (attached to front wheel hub) is a metal machined flange that counts the rotations of the wheel. If anybody could shed light on the part i need in the odometer hub i would greatly appreciate it. Again thanks in advance.

I think your're talking about the middle piece, which Kawasaki is calling a 'magnet.' The full PN is 21192-0001. It will run you a whopping1,218 Yen

You also might need the 'oil seal' (far left) which is PN 92049-1172. Price: 641 Yen.

Just for good measure,the 'speed sensor' (far right) PNis 21176-0027. I hope you don't need that as well because it will set you back about 16,275 Yen. [:-]

Great report FTB, keep'em coming! There have been reports of better results forthe TM34 after going with a different needle...I'm not well versed onwhich one, so maybe someone here can help. Compared to the FCR-35 and TM36, it's a week sister though.

Might your loss of low-end grunt bedue to the aftermarket cams? The KLX is generally regarded as having pretty decent low torgue for its displacement. I'll be sporting Beet/Nassert T-1 cams next season and should be able to give a good evaluation of their effect on low torque. My 250 feelspretty beefy downlow with the TMR-MJN34which I admit is a totally different animal thena modified TM33.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

great write up man, I'm with Dean my KLX has plenty of grunt down low

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

nice pics man, good to hear from ya.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

All I can say is ... Wow! Great pics, great stories. In the end, it's all about the stories.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

awsome man!! thanx for checkin in.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

+1 Great pics and "journal!" Keep 'em coming!!
Best wishes to you.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Nice write up and pics!

Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Bump.....Good to hear from ya......keep the pics coming

Old 10-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator