(Cheap) Seat Solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default (Cheap) Seat Solution

Hey gang. After this weekend's riding I decided I had to do something about the stock seat. It gets hot, uncomfortable, and the foam seems to just sink to the pan after an hour or so. So for $15 and a trip to Walmart I ended up with this:

Name:  KLX126Medium.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  KLX127Medium.jpg
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  KLX128Medium.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  KLX129Medium.jpg
Size:  56.5 KB

As you can see it mounts with 3 quick release straps. However as shown the upper tab on the numberplate is in the way and it pushes the plate down leaving a pretty noticeable gap. I could trim that tab in the places required. Instead I opted to mount it this way:

The rear strap is still under the seat, but the other 2 are attached under the frame rails. The cover is fairly slick so even though the seat is nearly 3/4" taller its easy to slide on. Especially considering the cover under that is a full gripper cover which would snag anything. The front two straps could be zip tied to the frame to remain on permanently. The rear strap can be removed just by removing the 2 seat bolts and lifting the seat up slightly. Even mounting the straps under the frame there is still quite a bit excess strap hanging down from each side. For now I tied it up because I'm going to take a ride before deciding if I will keep it (Aint Walmart great?!). If I do keep it I will just trim the excess straps.

I sat on it for 10 minutes or so in the garage. The padding in the cover is quite firm, combine that with the stock soft foam underneath and its quite comfy. I found that there were no pressure points and I think that with the individual cushions that it will allow for some airflow to cool the nether regions hopefully preventing buttikus monkeyus.

Anyway I picked this up in the automotive section at my local Walmart, the back corner of the auto section is now dedicated to ATV accessories. For $20 or so they also have a good sized set of gas tank panniers/saddlebags.

Here's a shot of the packaging and the barcode so you can have the customer (dis)service folks look it up for you.

I'll report back tomorrow when I get home from work as to wether it really is an improvement or not. Stationary testing says yes.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: (Cheap) Seat Solution

Wow!! That thing not only is a good idea, but it looks great too. That's awesome. Nice find man.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I can't take the credit, some KLR riders on www.advrider.com discovered them a few months back. I finally found one locally and figured for $15, even if its only a little better it was worth it.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've seen some folks over at ADVRider using it on their KLR's and say its great.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Woops, looks like our posts crossed in the ether.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, please do a ride report. The stock KLX seat gets to the bones in my butt after about a hour. So if it helps, I'm going to Wal-Mart to get one.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

i'd buy it cause seat cover looks great..although i dont have a problem with my rump hurting (chunky bumper)

Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

don had one of those on his dr350, he said it didnt make that big of difference after a while..... good luck
Name:  rufcutriders009.jpg
Size:  114.8 KB

Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

don had one of those on his dr350, he said it didnt make that big of difference after a while..... good luck
Yeah, that's the thing about evaluating a seat. You have to do it long term. My initial impressions of my aftermarket seat were pretty rosey compared to now. Althoughit ismore comfortablethan the stock seat,I can no longer justify paying as much as I did for it.

However, I have to agree with Bryant.Even if the pad onlymarginallyimproves the comfort, it'sworth $15.00. I saw a strap-on gel pad here in JA for $100.00! I was thinking of using it for a stop gap, but not after I saw the price.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Let us know how it works out. I went on a 100 mile ride yesterday and my tailbone still hurts! I'd be willing to try it out myself for $15!

Quick Reply: (Cheap) Seat Solution