Changing Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Changing Tires

Hello fellow forum members,

As soon as I finish finals, I intend to change the front and rear tires on my 1999 rm125. I have the tires and tubes, a motion pro tire iron 3 pack, and a bead buddy. If all goes well, I intend to also change the rear tire on my klx250sf in a couple months.

I've never changed a motorcycle tire before and I was wondering if you guys had any advice or pointers for my first time?

Thanks,
Andy

Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Search Youtube. There are plenty of videos on how to.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Well you can't **** up the old tires, they are usually pretty soft walled so you can just dig in, and figure out from you tube how to do it. Then when you have the old one off try putting it back on. New tires are always stiffer walled. If you follow the instructions it is not hard at all.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw the youtube videos and it seems pretty easy, but a lot of people have told me that its real easy to pinch the inner tube. Is that only when removing the tire? the youtube videos I saw said nothing about how to avoid pinching the tube.
Are the street tires on the klx250sf just as easy to remove and install as dirtbike tires?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

When you are putting the tire on, once you have put the tube in, just inflate it enough to give it shape, that will help prevent pinching the tube. If you are careful you will be fine. Also find a tool to pull your valve stem through the rim, That is the trickiest bit.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I have heard that street tires are harder to change (stiffer)

Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Some good info on advrider...and the guy changes his tire in sandals.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=neduro+tire

Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

So anybody have tips on not pinching tubes? I have 3 tires irons 2 of them are decently long, I inflated the tube a little and went what I thought was reasonably slow. Heck I even used a bead buddy to keep the bead in the dish of the rim. Somehow, I still managed to pinch both the front and rear wheel!!! Please help me out I just dont get it lol

Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Sometimes they go real easy and sometimes not. I've never pinched a tube until the last one I did last fall. IIRC I pinched 2 tubes on the same wheel.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

The way i do it is, i get both beads on the outside of the wheel, then pull the wheel out, put the wheel in the new tire the same way, then put one bead on put the tube in and just pop the other one one. No real tips for not pinching, besides put some air in it, dont stick the irons that far into the tire, just enough to grab the wheel. you can try to feel where its going in the beginning. but the further you get along you cant get your fingers in.

Quick Reply: Changing Tires