Changing a flat

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Changing a flat

Hmm, sounds like I should be prepared and include a metal detector in my toolkit!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:35 PM

I definitely want to be able to do this when called upon. In preparation, I need to add 3 small tire irons to my kit. My irons in my garage are the long spoon type, which are great, but they will not easily fit into a kit. They are like 10" or 12" long. Can anyone recommend a good set. I have seen the small ones from Motion Pro and other, but I hear they are pretty flimsy. Is that true, or are these the way to go? The price is right.

On a related note, I recently bought the Slime mini-compressor kit, that comes with a tube of Slime sealant. Has anyone ever used this product? Does it work? The kit is quite small, so I currently have the kit, my rainsuit, and my important papers in my Pelican 1400. I am thinking that if the Slime goop really works, then I might be able to live without the tire irons for a while. I still want to get good at changing tires, though. I have done it once in my garage. It took me a while, but I eventually got there.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-21-2007, 04:31 AM

Just a quick couple of hopefully, helpful notes.

I use Park Tool tire levers. www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=17&item=TL%2D5

They are long alloy levers actually for bicycles, but work very well for our tires and wheels. They have the correct depth and a curved backrest for the lever to properly sit on the rim edge when applying downward pressure to remove the bead of the tire from the rim.

Also, I line my tires with a 4 inches wide strap of rubber. You can find it at a building supply store. Just look for the rolls of rubber trim that goes on the bottom of you walls as "Base Board". Certainly reduces the flats. In fact, I have never had one using this technique.

Lastly, when I change a tube, I always inflate it slightly before installing it, so it seats well before putting in higher pressure.

Hope you some of you fellows find these tips helpful.

Cheers
Cynall

Old 02-21-2007, 04:48 AM

I'm a pro at changing bicycle tires at the side of the road, but I just got in my new Kenda K270's ( I ride 90% street and gravel roads). I got just over 2000 miles on the stock tires. I could probably go another 500 or so, but I'd be risking a flat and the off roadgrip is worthless. I took he out in the snow 2 days ago and there was nearly zero traction... similar to mud.

I'm hoping changing it is fairly similar to a really tight fitting Michelin 700c road tire. I have some heavy duty tubes to put in as well.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff
I definitely want to be able to do this when called upon. In preparation, I need to add 3 small tire irons to my kit. My irons in my garage are the long spoon type, which are great, but they will not easily fit into a kit. They are like 10" or 12" long. Can anyone recommend a good set. I have seen the small ones from Motion Pro and other, but I hear they are pretty flimsy. Is that true, or are these the way to go? The price is right.
I bought three of the MSR short (fanny pack) irons...... they are the only ones I own and I have done all my tire changes with them so far and they work just fine. They just barely do not fit in the stock tool bag..... but I'm working on that mod. I met ya Chris you'll have no problem using them you're plenty strong.....it's mostly technique. Best of luck in your choice.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the Tusk front fender pack from... you guessed it www.rockymountainatvmc.com . It comes with two tire irons that fit into built in slots. Ordered one more iron for good measure and ease of tire change. I can also carry spare front tube and CO2 inflator in there. No mounting holes required, itjust straps to the fender edges and removes in seconds. Hasn't fallen off during off road rides yet. I usually don't have it on around town. And if memory serves me it was $14.95

Old 02-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

OK the ultimate question..... Does someone make a quality kit that includes all or most of the stuff you need to do this? Id like to get something, not just a cheap kit with junk tools.....

Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I am gearing up for a rockymountainatv.com order here pretty soon (hopefully). I will be including a set of small irons in that order, I think. I like the idea of the fender pack. I may go that route as well.

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

This is looking pretty good..... http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j..._group_id=4659

Old 02-21-2007, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mmatz

I have the Tusk front fender pack from... you guessed it www.rockymountainatvmc.com . It comes with two tire irons that fit into built in slots. Ordered one more iron for good measure and ease of tire change. I can also carry spare front tube and CO2 inflator in there. No mounting holes required, itjust straps to the fender edges and removes in seconds. Hasn't fallen off during yet. I usually don't have it on around town. And if memory serves me it was $14.95
Matt, I took a look at the Tusk back at RMATV.com. I am liking it a lot. One question for you, though.What brand of tire irons come with the kit. I would like to buy a 3rd iron of the same make, but I can not tell from the picture. The irons in the pic do not look like the Tusk ultra light iron or the Motion Pro pics.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Changing a flat