chain brand, renthal or d.i.d

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default chain brand, renthal or d.i.d

I want a new o or x ring gold chain. Renthal or did. I know did is a good quality chain, but also seems much more expensive. Opinions? I really don't want to spend $140 for a chain. So Iam leaning towards the renthal chain.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been using RK chains on my sportbikes for years. Price is good and they seem to last as long as the DID's i was using FWIW.

No experiance with renthal though.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I've used tsubaki or rk o-ring chains on my bikes, never lube them or specifically clean them, and they last a lot of hard miles. Either company has great chains.
My brother runs the DID o-rings and they last through a season of enduros at the A-level on a 2stroke 250 mx'r....also without much maintenance...at the least, just keep it adjusted.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Over many years I've used all manner and brand of chains. The parts guy at the shop I used to work at suggested the DID X-ring 520V(?) chain. He raced quads and said it was the strongest, longest lasting chain that he and other quad racers had seen. The mention of quads on a KLX thread is because quads are brutal on chains. Anyway I installed this fairly high dollar chain and a set of new 14/47 sprockets in November of '09. Now...this is going to sound total BS, and frankly I wouldn't believe it either. I have not had to adjust that chain since I installed it. I keep checking it and keep checking it, and it never changes...WTF? Now, I don't really ride in mud to any degree, so I'm sure that helps. Also I don't do long highway miles or pavement stretches. I mainly ride this bike off road and just ride the pavement necessary to make trail connections. In Colorado, Utah, and west Texas, this can add up some pavement miles, but my KLX isn't used as a commuter. I use BelRay Superclean chainlube. I don't clean or wash the chain.

I've put about 5000 miles on this setup with no adjustments. That doesn't even sound possible. Right now I'm heading off for another 3-day camping and riding trip out to our club riding location, and I'll bet I won't have to adjust the chain. I realize the KLX isn't a Ninja ZX14, but you'd think that some notable wear would occur in about 5000 miles. I'm amazed but delighted.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC, what chain lube do you use? How often?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I love this stuff on the Vstrom (525 chain) and will use it on the new KLX: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Does the d.i.d. x ring chain come with a master link?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Most name brand o-ring type chains will last a long time on the klx...not alot of power means no stretching. Staying out of the dirt adds to chain life too as well as maintenance.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I put a Parts Unlimited chain on mine. It's an O-ring chain and it cost around $50 CDN. Got around 10,000 kms (of which 70 % was dirt/mud/sand) on it and only had to adjust it two notches so far. Stiil going strong. Running 14/47 sprockets. Actually I'm really surprised. I only bought this because thats all was available to me at the time. Liking it enough to buy it again.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I run a DID x-ring 520V on my zx6r. It's an excellent chain. It does come with a master link. When I swap sprockets/chain on the klx I'll put on a DID

Quick Reply: chain brand, renthal or d.i.d