Caryying extra gear??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Caryying extra gear??

I like "extra" stuff to be kept to a minimum but there is "stuff" i'd like to carry.

I like having tools and a quick tire fix with me. The tool bag carries tools but not much more. Any ideas on a fairly small, preferably soft sided, carry system that mounts nicely on the rear rack or other ideas about fender mount, or other, carry systems?

I would dearly LOVE to figure out a place to mount a rod holder that could carry a couple of take down fishing poles and a small bag for a couple of reels and a bit of tackle. The forest is full of trout streams and bike access takes me to a bunch of nice spots many people don't get to.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I think a backpack is the best option. It depends on the type of terrain you plan on traveling over, but even a washboard gravel road will have anything mounted to the bike, and anything in it, rattling all over the place. I wouldn't mind having a small pack on the front fender for a tube and some tools, but I would want it strapped down nice and tight. I have done a couple of trail rides with a backpack on, and once you get going you forget it's even back there. Just my $.02

Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a company that makes soft panniers for the KLX, along with some side racks to fit them. The brand name escapes me. Someone else can chirp in.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
There is a company that makes soft panniers for the KLX, along with some side racks to fit them. The brand name escapes me. Someone else can chirp in.
Dirt-Bagz http://www.dbzproducts.com/
I bough a set but I have never used.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I think a backpack is the best option. It depends on the type of terrain you plan on traveling over, but even a washboard gravel road will have anything mounted to the bike, and anything in it, rattling all over the place. I wouldn't mind having a small pack on the front fender for a tube and some tools, but I would want it strapped down nice and tight. I have done a couple of trail rides with a backpack on, and once you get going you forget it's even back there. Just my $.02
The "rattling" problem is why I like soft sided gear bags. You can tighten, strap or bungee them down as tight as a drum. I'm not a "saddlebag" fan. Something that straps to the rear rack is what I'm invissioning.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I found a little bag at WallMart near the suit cases that was for bathroom type products. It has two side pockets that hold cans of soda perfectly and a center section to hold my sandwich. I still have the origional fender bag for the tools. I took a piece of plexiglass and cut a piece to fit in the bag and under the rack then I just screwed through both of them to pinch it down. I also got a cinch strap with quick release to keep everything snug. Cost me only a few bucks and when it gets nasty I'll just get a new one.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

It would be cool if you could get a rear mount bag that you could remove and use it as a decent back pack.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default luggage

Check out wolfmanluggage.com they make Enduro tank bags fender bags toolkit bags etc. Good quality stuff.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Any place i go i carry a camel-back alpine explorer pack , it holds 100oz watter and plenter room for poles and reels, oh and those extra clutch levers i seem to snap into.....

Old 12-13-2008, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Ive been thinking about getting one of those telescopic fishing rods (as much as do dislike them). If I remember correctly they fold down to about 12 inches or so. I think they will fit good in a backpack. plus along with the other necessary stuff. I try to keep things to a minimum tho. i dont like bags all over the bike so i prefer a back pack. However i do like deej's rack box. Gotta try to search for more info on that. (hint-any help there would be appreciated).

Quick Reply: Caryying extra gear??