careful w/the oil filter o ring

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Default careful w/the oil filter o ring

Just a little heads up for everyone. I changed my oil/filter 2 days ago. When putting the O ring back on the cover, it appeared to be a little too big. I went ahead and used it and snugged up the bolts and it appeared to be ok. I took the bike for a ride to check for leaks, and once again, everything was cool. The next morning I rode the bike to work and when I got there(after a 30 mile commute), I had OIL all over my right boot! The whole right side of the bike was covered with oil..even the brake disc! That explained why my rear brake didn't work worth a crap on my commute. Upon investigation it was coming out of the filter cover. I was right about the O ring being too big, and it was pinched just a little bit, allowing for a pretty sizable leak. There was still plenty of oil in the engine, but it had potential to be disastrous..for the bike and my body! Anyway, I learned a lesson and wanted to pass it on to everyone. I don't want it to happen to anyone else.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: careful w/the oil filter o ring

When I changed the oil the o ring stayed on the cover and I didn't mess with it. I kept the new one that came with the filter for a spare. Its the same setup and same filter that was used on my old 85 honda big red 250 3 wheeler and never once did I have to change the o ring on that. Needless to say I had quite a collection of o rings.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:23 AM

THanks for the heads up. I just did an oil and filter change in the middle of my break in. The O-ring had stayed in the cover.

I like a few parts and have had an additional O-ring on Backorder for about a week... maybe there is an influx of leaking covers?

I did learn about that dang oil filter spring issue though...

Old 06-22-2006, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Funny that you mentioned that.. I have had the same problem but on a smaller scale. I have a small trickle out of the top of the cap. I went to the dealer the other day and ordered two one now and a back-up for later. Figures that the dealer was out of stock... oh well....