Carburetor venting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Carburetor venting

I can't quite remember the carb venting scheme on the KLX, but I think this might be applicable, so I'll pass it along.

When colder weather became the norm, I swapped out my carb needle for a more aggressive one to make up for the lean condition due to denser cold air. At that time, I noticed what appeared to be a little grime in the slide area of my carb. I double checked behind the air filter, but all was clean there so no dirt has apparently entered that way. I buttoned it all back up and didn't think too much about it until someone mentioned dirt entering the carb through the vent lines, and specifically, it goes into the slide area of the carb, not the main body. That sounded exactly like what was happening to mine.

I searched around and found a few carb vent line specific filtering setups, two of which were kind've gaudy brightly colored anodized metal with neon hoses come out at odd angles. I didn't really feel like bolting such a contraption to my bike. But I eventually found a nice clean setup from this place:

http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/int...carburetor.htm

See the top item, "Extreme weather carburetor vent kits". Purportedly, this will filter the air entering your carburetor through the vent lines. I routed the top two lines up into my air box which is the equivalent of what some call the "T" mod which allows the carb to vent even in deep water where carbureted bikes are prone to stalling, so you can kill two birds with one stone.

Here's a few pics for scale:

Took a quick test ride with it this evening and everything seems to be working fine, though I didn't do any deep water crossings or anything. I took the opportunity while I had the tank off to change out my cold weather needle for the summer needle since it's warming up down here and while I was in there I cleaned the grime out. I'll check back in there in a month or two and see if any more reappears to check and see if they are working.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Carburetor venting

Interesting post Nobrakes. Will the filters stop gas from pouring into the airbox after an upside down get-off. Not that I've ever had one or am worried about it.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

No, I don't think they will. Just make sure you don't get pinned. [&:]

Old 04-11-2008, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Extreme weather - not a chance here in Arizona Brian!

I also talked to Mark (klx250s_rider) today, seems you talked him into the 331cc Big Bore kit from Kustom Kraft and the Bill Blue Mikuni, looks like I'll be buying the beers after our rides for the next two years - thanks a lot Brian!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:46 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey, he's an adult, he makes his own decisions. I was just discussing options.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

He's more like a kid in a candy store these days! Worst part is I know he'll talk me into doing it too!!!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:55 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

And you know what the next upgrade after that is, don't you?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, the Dakar!

Old 04-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ah, you don't want that, that's a girls bike.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kawikathy
He's more like a kid in a candy store these days! Worst part is I know he'll talk me into doing it too!!!!!
Do them together at the same time...easier that way. You buy beer, an Mark wrenches.....ps make him do his bike first

Quick Reply: Carburetor venting