Carb vent line. Re route or Y?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

still kinda the same deal, point on not noting it was carb lines though. even easier to test, fire it up, and plug the carb vents with your thumbs!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Like you said for it to stall from lack of gas cause gas vent lines are plugged it would have to be one hell of a water crossing.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Or a really short one that you got stuck in while waiting for a KTM rider to push himself out of your way.

Here in WA we have a desert race called the Desert 100 where they usually run you through a deep river crossing. Water up onto the seat of my XR400. It's fine if you keep moving and keep a bow wave.

I don't think that the carb needs an atmosphere vent for the slide. The slide has a hole in it to allow manifold pressure to go in and out of the chamber above the slide. There should be no other inlet for air to the slide system or else you would end up with dirt in there and the slide would stick.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Bow wave.....Awesome! That's the trick, keep it moving and stay on the gas. Momentum will make up for a lot of things.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow! I didn't expect two pages on this subject. Just wait till I call BS about some previous posts on some of the mods.
Thanks for the response. I didn't even think to cap my finger over the lines to check. I don't plan on crossing water over about 18" anyways.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

The short of it is it takes less than 5 minutes to do when you have the carb' out to re jet it. The mod is almost free and in true boy scout tradition, it's best to be prepared.

A stalled bike mid river can lead to a drowned bike quickly. That will spoil your day pretty fast, let alone take up more riding time while your at home fixing your bike and your buddies are out riding.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by brownie2
Wow! I didn't expect two pages on this subject. Just wait till I call BS about some previous posts on some of the mods.
Not being familiar with the KLX250s, I will say it's possible there are some things about it that makes the "T-mod" not as important as on some bikes. However, I've personally seen CV Carbs starve from vent blockage during very heavy rains...where the water was spashing up the line and into a loop! Also have seen ice block it, and a dirt dauber nest block it. All caused the bike to stop running.

So, either this particular carb has something magically delicious done to it, or, it's going to stall out in similar situations.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok. I have the 09 model. I blocked off both carb vent lines and ran the bike at idle for 4 mins. Gave the throttle a twist, no problem. ??????????????????????????????

Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks! I haven't tried that yet. It's good to get some facts.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ACOLE
Ok. I have the 09 model. I blocked off both carb vent lines and ran the bike at idle for 4 mins. Gave the throttle a twist, no problem. ??????????????????????????????

Since yours is an 09, I'd think there wouldn't be any leakage around your lines/connection at the carb, which would allow it to keep running. Interesting!

Quick Reply: Carb vent line. Re route or Y?