Carb Removal how-to?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Carb Removal how-to?

Is there a link someone can post to a thread that shows how to remove the carb? I went to remove the carb the other day in order to make the slide mod and install my DJ Jet kit and I got to the point where I have it all nice and exposed so I can remove it and saw this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

and have no idea what that connector does...

I also realized that there is very little space to work in and the two throttle cables are making me scratch my head a bit, so any help on how to remove the carb correctly would be appreciated!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

This link will show you how to remove the carb. It has pictures and also a how-to on rejetting.

http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums...ead.php?t=1617

Old 12-27-2008, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Sweet! I knew there was something like that floating around but my searches here turned up squat.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default carb removal

Step 1: Remove motorcycle from carb, just joking once you have done it once it's not to bad also if you have to change the needle setting you just have to take the seat off and remove the carb top.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont know if it's in the HMF info or not, but while you have it out replace the bowl screws with metric allen head bolts. This will allow you to take the bowl off and change your jets later without removing the carb from the bike . With that set up, you can loosen the carb in the boots ,remove the throttle cable bracket from the carb, and spin the carb in the boots just enough to remove the allen bolts holding the bowl and change the jets with out totally removing the carb.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
but while you have it out replace the bowl screws with metric allen head bolts. This will allow you to take the bowl off and change your jets later without removing the carb from the bike .
NICE.....

Great Call...

Rocco

Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont know if it's in the HMF info or not, but while you have it out replace the bowl screws with metric allen head bolts. This will allow you to take the bowl off and change your jets later without removing the carb from the bike . With that set up, you can loosen the carb in the boots ,remove the throttle cable bracket from the carb, and spin the carb in the boots just enough to remove the allen bolts holding the bowl and change the jets with out totally removing the carb.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to jot this down.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I believe that picture is the TPS (throttle position censor). If that's your question, I didn't remove mine from the carb I simply followed the wires up a few inches and unplugged it at the connector then removed the carb with it attached.

Also pay good attention to where all of the lines go. I didn't pay close attention and wondered WTF when I went to reinstall and found there were extra lines and noplace to connect them to. Bike ran fine though. Then I figured out they were vent hoses and were just supposed to hang under the bike and didn't go anywhere.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
I believe that picture is the TPS (throttle position censor). If that's your question, I didn't remove mine from the carb I simply followed the wires up a few inches and unplugged it at the connector then removed the carb with it attached.

Also pay good attention to where all of the lines go. I didn't pay close attention and wondered WTF when I went to reinstall and found there were extra lines and noplace to connect them to. Bike ran fine though. Then I figured out they were vent hoses and were just supposed to hang under the bike and didn't go anywhere.
Yep I was asking about that TPS sensor. I wasn't sure about it. Thanks for the clarification.

I am going to swap the jets and perform the slide mod after work today and put the thing back together. It's forecast to be about 63°F tomorrow, so I'll probably go home at lunch and ride it back to work.

I try my best to ride it whenever the weather here lets me.

I still have less than 100 miles on it though

Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
but while you have it out replace the bowl screws with metric allen head bolts. This will allow you to take the bowl off and change your jets later without removing the carb from the bike .

NICE.....

Great Call...

Rocco"

Thanks, I'm just passing it on though. I read it on here somewhere, and tried it myself. Works good, pass it on.

Quick Reply: Carb Removal how-to?