carb breather T mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default carb breather T mod?

Has anyone else done this carb breather mod. Does this keep the bike from drowning in deep water? I think I may want to do this to my bike. All suggestions welcome. The one guy just used Y fittings. What is everyone else using.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: carb breather T mod?

check out my posting below "mod day..." I did the carb breather mod while I had the bike all apart.

Hope that helps...

Old 12-31-2006, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

There are two atmosphere breather on the carb. They are breather lines on each side on the float chamber. So what I did is run one up over the air filter box and the other down to the back of the motor where they were. No "T" or "Y"'s.[/align]
________
Ebony Cam

Last edited by Silver_Otter; 09-18-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought that the two lines were for different functions within the carb. If that theroy is correct, you may still stall in deep water with the one that is still dangling...

That brings up a question in my mind though, why couldnt we just route BOTH to the top, and avoid the risks inherent with the lower lines permently??

Thoughts??

Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

But what if you lay the bike down , will fuel come out of these lines? If so and they are routed high then fuel would get on the bike. What about the black lines coming from the fuel tank, what do they do?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmar

But what if you lay the bike down , will fuel come out of these lines? If so and they are routed high then fuel would get on the bike. What about the black lines coming from the fuel tank, what do they do?
Probably the reason for the lines being down in the first place, good point, I wasnt thinking about taking a spill (never think about falling!!![sm=smiley5.gif])

Black lines from the gas tank do the same thing, they are breather lines...

Old 01-02-2007, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Awefully hard to do unless the bike is upside down, but if that happened you would be worried about more than just a little gas on the outside of your bike. What, are you imagining some major fuel spill coming from a float bowl vent? Yes, the black hoses are fuel tank vents.

ORIGINAL: dmar

Old 01-02-2007, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DirtSurfer

I thought that the two lines were for different functions within the carb. If that theroy is correct, you may still stall in deep water with the one that is still dangling...

That brings up a question in my mind though, why couldnt we just route BOTH to the top, and avoid the risks inherent with the lower lines permently??

Thoughts??
I've seen them do this on other bikes in other forums. I think the "T's" would just provide a drainage point incase you happened to submerge the bike, not sure though.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Those clear hoses coming out of the carb do dump gas when the bike is laid over.... believe me i have done it many times....lol.... thats why you put the T or Y in the line... so it can still dump out the fuel to the ground but if you get in water it still gets air from the other end of the line, i would not just route those hoses up, put the T or Y in its not expensive.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

That is what I thought EMS_0525. Did you also put t's on the fuel tank vents? thats the two black hoses from the bottom of the tank.

Quick Reply: carb breather T mod?