can be 350 kit flooded by TM36?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default can be 350 kit flooded by TM36?

Hi, meanwhile playing with the new setup I came to a question - could 351 kit be flooded by tm36? I remember that people been drilling intakes and installing air valves to give a bit air to flooded engine. However I do not remember if it is only 250cc feature or problem in general. Flooded engines are bad without kickstart

Old 09-03-2012, 02:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

To answer your basic question, yes. I'm assuming it's a pumper TM36-68. You could sit there on the bike and keep twisting the throttle quickly and pump fuel into the carb inlet until the engine was extremely flooded. But I'm also assuming this isn't what you're referring to...or maybe you are. Not sure why you'd keep pumping fuel into the intake. Or are you talking about the TM36 being too big for the 250 engine size? When you say "flooded", could you clarify a bit more?

With the rider on the bike, it's hard to "flood" the engine unless you're pumping the accelerator pump with the throttle. Even if the fuel level is too high, the excess fuel will be more likely to flow out the vent tube for the fuel bowl. I have seen extremely high fuel levels allow to fuel to enter the engine when the bike is on the side stand on some models. I'm still wondering about your description of "flooding". Maybe you just mean "too rich".

Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I was talking about situation when bike is stalled on the slope. Finally I found the link Electric Hot Start System , Is it important for 351 kit or only 250 cc?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

OK...see what you mean. These hot start devices do work, but they're usually more applicable to a kickstart-only bike. Electric start bikes can usually overcome a flooded or hot engine situation pretty easily. Especially bikes like the KLX that usually have more powerful batteries that aren't usually overwhelmed by some extra cranking.

In Utah this spring my KLX fell over while I did a short walk to an overlook. The bike was heavily flooded, and I had to crank quite a bit extra to clear the fuel. Still, the battery and bike had no problem doing it, and it started with just a little extra time.

On the hot starting of a CV carb vs. a pumper cable pull slide, I think the pumper will be easier to start. Here's my take on it. You're needing more air as you well know to mix with the extra, flooded fuel. You can mechanically raise the pumper's slide all the way open with the throttle to get that air when you start cranking. The CV carb's slide won't start rising until you get some engine vacuum, therefore a little slow on the additional air supply. The pumper carb's pumper doesn't work unless you operate the throttle with some speed or quickness. If you slowly open the throttle to the wide open position, you don't get a shot of fuel, so you're not aggravating the flooded situation.

Still, I doubt you'll hurt anything by applying a hot start device if you do it correctly.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Never use the hot start on my honda with e start, pull it when I remember just to keep the plunger from seizing up Wouldn't mess with the extra hardware on the klx, just keep your battery up, even with the CV the kacr clears the motor pretty well cranking it.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oh...alex, you also asked whether the 250 or big bore version would be any more or less prone to flooding or trying to deal with either when flooded. I can't see anything between either version that will be affected differently as far as flooding is concerned.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

if you really want hot start function on it put a 250r carb on it or something that has it in the carb way easier to set up than having to throw all that stuff on it and to be honest idk how nessacary it would be in a race if i dump my xr650 i always just crack the throttle open then kick her over instead of playing with the hotstart stuff way faster that way

Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I've watched many people kick a flooded bike till they puke then I shut the gas off, hold the throttle wide open and have it start in a couple more kicks.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
I've watched many people kick a flooded bike till they puke then I shut the gas off, hold the throttle wide open and have it start in a couple more kicks.
Were you watching every time I dumped my numerous XR250Rs? I always had the creepy feeling I was being watched right before I puked.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to relate in my description above. I think our CV equipped bikes might be harder to get started after a good crash with only a kickstart. They might benefit more from the hotstart kit. That vacuum slide isn't going to want to move without some rpm...at least that's what I'm picturing.