Camping Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Camping Anyone?

Has anyone ever done overnighters on their KLX (1-2 nights)? I would love to put together a few things, hit the trails all day, then pitch a tent or whatever and sleep trailside. Maybe even bring some portable fishing gear. I really want to do it with my son and his bike too. The ultimate goal would be to be able to do the whole thing over a weekend.

I've done a search but there doesn't seem to be anything related. I've searched here, ADV, google, etc. No ride reports that I could find. (well, I did find one guy on a four wheeler who did it alone).

I'm not sure how to even get started. The land where the trails that we ride are owned by lots of different people. Plus, there are fire laws etc. Then there is gas to consider...

I would love to see some KLX owners who have done this. Also, what their gear looked like, etc.

Thanks! I'm not really expecting much but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask!

Mark

Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I think redpillar has done it a bit. He's on here and ADV. I think the report I read was on ADV. Pretty minimal gear, and buying what he could along the way. Does a great job writing it up too. I'll try and find it.
Dan

Old 04-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i think you would have to get the dirt bagz saddle bags. I bought my bike to ride during the day, i have taken it to allegheny national forest for overnights 3 hours away, but i haul it in my truck, just need way too much gear to haul it all on the klx.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
i think you would have to get the dirt bagz saddle bags. I bought my bike to ride during the day, i have taken it to allegheny national forest for overnights 3 hours away, but i haul it in my truck, just need way too much gear to haul it all on the klx.
That's good info! I don't even know if it's possible. tent, sleeping bag, food, etc. It may be too much.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a Cycleracks rack on my KlX just for this. I have done an overnighter with a backpack, but it was not fun. I use a Hennessee Hammock, so no tent poles or sleeping pad to deal with. Everything for a weekend will fit in a medium duffel bag with a waterproof liner. Good luck with fuel range. I have two MSR fuel bottles mounted permanently to the bike and stash more in my bag if I think I will need it.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

This is the one I was thinking of . Some awsome pictures in here.
3500 KLIX on a KLX - ADVrider
You could probably do a couple days with you and your son. It would have to be very basic. Could be fun. Make sure you take pics if you do it. Now get planning.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 04-12-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Montana and Idaho on my KLX

Here's another good one from Redpillar.
Montana and Idaho on my KLX - ADVrider

This thread has nice photos of packing techniques and RP is a good ride report writer. He's inspired me to pick up a Giant Loop Coyote and I have some rear rack reinforcing to do, or just buy the Cycle Rack. I took the Coyote out on a test ride a couple months ago and was very pleased with it's room and ease of use. We have some overnighters planned for this summer: trails near Stanley; southwest Idaho to the Oregon & Nevada borders, Indian Hot Springs, and other trails of Owyhee County; and maybe the Tour of Idaho T2.

:::wheelies:::

Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 AM
1st Gear Member

im definetely goin at some point this year already in the plans if u find any good spots before i do let me know as we live 30-45 minutes apart

Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I have two MSR fuel bottles mounted permanently to the bike and stash more in my bag if I think I will need it.
Where did you locate them at on your bike? Any pics

Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I've gone camping with my bike before, but I cheated and trucked it to the campsite, then used it for trail riding during the day

I've also taken my KLX fishing.. Fishing poles bunjee up to the rear rack nicely!

I would like to do a lot of camping this year! Maine is on my list of spots!! Let me know if you make it out and maybe I can come join!!

Quick Reply: Camping Anyone?