Cam Chain Tensioner Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I have never given my a thought. I think I have 9 or 10 k on mine now.
It must be getting close to time to do my valve check though.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

To check to see if your cam chain is stretched too much..

Pull the center bolt from the cam chain tensioner - will have a spring behind it. Pull the bolt and spring off.

Then pull the two side 8mm cap bolts.

Slide the tensioner out. See how far the arm has come out - pull on it and see how much further it can extend. If you're at the end of it's extension, you need a new cam chain. If you still got room left, you're good.

Don't forget to "reset" it before putting it back on. Push the little metal rocker arm and slide the extension arm all the way in.

Stick the tensioner back in, tighten the two 8mm bolts in, then stick the spring in, and tighten the center bolt.

Should take all of 5 mins.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
To check to see if your cam chain is stretched too much..

Pull the center bolt from the cam chain tensioner - will have a spring behind it. Pull the bolt and spring off.

Then pull the two side 8mm cap bolts.

Slide the tensioner out. See how far the arm has come out - pull on it and see how much further it can extend. If you're at the end of it's extension, you need a new cam chain. If you still got room left, you're good.

Don't forget to "reset" it before putting it back on. Push the little metal rocker arm and slide the extension arm all the way in.

Stick the tensioner back in, tighten the two 8mm bolts in, then stick the spring in, and tighten the center bolt.

Should take all of 5 mins.
Not exactly the prefered method. If the cam tensioner was all the way out. The cam chain is way beyond being replaced. Mine was at the limit and tensioner was only out about 2/3.

The prefered method is to remove the cam chain and hang it with an about 10lb weight on the other end. Then measure between 20-links. Standard range is 127.0~127.4mm. Service limit is 128.9mm (so anything over).

Name:  09-08-08_1251.jpg
Views: 2822
Size:  62.5 KB
like this

Old 09-06-2009, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

This is all really good info. I guess replacing the tensioner when you replace the chain is probably a good idea to prevent failure. Overall though it appears to be a much better design than the KLR doohickey!

Funny how something as simple as this always starts a debate! Gotta love the KLX community.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Huh, I guess you learn something new all the time

That's how I've always judged on any other bikes. Just kinda carried it over. I wouldn't wait till it was at the end, but if it was sticking way out I just changed the chain.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Guys.....are we talking about the same KLX250S here? The one Kawasaki makes? Its pretty much common knowledge that the cam system is a severe POS. You have to manually adjust the the supposed "auto" tightening system because the spring is not strong enough to adjust until the damn thing is flapping loose in the wind.

For a while there thats all we talked about on here. You know it needs tightened when the bike reaches 5K and it sounds like the valves are tapping. Its the chain. And it wears out too quickly,...WAY too quickly. Its like they used junk chains though. And I remember LearJet posted a step by step of him replacing his chain. You have to make sure to get a new style or aftermarket though cuz if you get the same kind your plagued with the same problems.

That is 100% unacceptable for a reliable 4 stroke engine. You should run this thing its whole life and never ever touch that damn chain for anything. Not replace it like its the drive chain for the back wheel.

It gets three thumbs down as far as I'm concerned. Mine is rattling to hell and back now, I'm adjusting it now, just taking a break.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I wonder if the 2009 version have an upgraded tensioner.? Seems like such a basic engineering feat - reliably take out the tension on a cam chain, why does Kawi appear to struggle with this so much.

Oh well, I'll ride it till it needs attention, then I'll replace and ride again!

Anyone else have issues?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Other than being a little noisy from time to time, our tensioners are just fine.
The way it's engineered, it has to get a bit loose before the ratchet takes up another notch. These machines will last a long time before anyone one of us needs a new cam chain. My guess is 50,000 miles or better.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

My motor is making a rattling sound when I rev it, more so when I first start it up. I have 12,000 miles on my '09 and it sounds like its coming more from the top end. Not a ticking but if I rev high, it souns like a spun bearing or lack of oil damage. The sound seems to be off and on...is this the timing chain?

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Tensioner Maintenance