Cam chain tensioner issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cam chain tensioner issue

I purchased a krieger cam chain tensioner. Followed install instructions and took the bike for a test run around the neighborhood. after about 2 miles. I tried cranking over and got it going again. Made it about half way home and bike died again. After getting it home and trying to start it again a few times the battery ran dead.

I loosened the locking nut, adjustment screw and started over from scratch. After setting the tensioner finger tight and using a battery jumper I started the bike and let it warm. Now when i give it gas the bike dies. Please any thoughts?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

It's not the tensioner. Your description sounds like it could be a clogged Pilot Jet, if it's happening when the throttle is off or nearly off.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
It's not the tensioner. Your description sounds like it could be a clogged Pilot Jet, if it's happening when the throttle is off or nearly off.
I dont know the bikes been running like a top with the exception of the now and then auto cam tensioner fail rattle. I ride it every day to and from work. I thought maybe when i was installing the tensioner that i had bumped the idle or air mixture screws so I re-set those to their usual adjustment. It will idle but when i open up the throttle it dies. The only thing thats changed is the cam chain tensioner so Im putting my money in that court. I don't know much about them so is it possible my timing was thrown off?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

When I first put mine on it was a little too tight and the only symptom was no cam chain noise at all either cold or hot. Once I loosened it to the proper adjustment the chain makes some noise cold and nearly goes away when warmed. It never affected the way it ran at all.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
When I first put mine on it was a little too tight and the only symptom was no cam chain noise at all either cold or hot. Once I loosened it to the proper adjustment the chain makes some noise cold and nearly goes away when warmed. It never affected the way it ran at all.
Maybe i have it too tight then. Hopefully when im home from work the battery will have charged and i can try again.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Recheck your cam timing. Maybe when you installed the new tensioner, you didn't get it tight enough and the cam chain jumper a tooth or two. One of the cam chain guides is also spring loaded and could affect your original cam chain tension.

Another possibility is that you shifted one or more of the carb vent tubes and it/they came into contact with the exhaust pipe and melted shut.

Let us know what you find.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

When it dies open the gas cap so it vents and try to strt it again if it does you have a vent issue.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
When it dies open the gas cap so it vents and try to strt it again if it does you have a vent issue.
thanks ill try that.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Unless you had it WAY TOO LOOSE and it jumped timing (which I seriously doubt), you have a gunked up pilot jet, or pinched/melted carb vent hose, or fuel cap vent dysfunction. If it idles, but, dies immediately when you give it any throttle...that's Pilot jet gunk. Sometimes Pilot jet gunk won't even let it idle at all. If a bit of choke allows it to idle/run a bit, it's another sign it's Pilot jet gunk.

I just don't think it's related to your cam chain adjuster.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

pinched vent hose! thanks so much for the help i would not have guessed it

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioner issue