buying a bike on eBay???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default buying a bike on eBay???

Anyone here ever bought a whole bike on eBay? Every now and then I see a deal that sounds too good to pass on. Trouble is I am the paranoid type and assume every deal is a trick to swindle me out of my hard earned cash and/or murder me.

J/K about that last part... What are your thoughts or experiences on flying out to pick up a bike you've never ridden so you can drive it hundreds of miles home?

Name:  bike1_small.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I think it sounds no bueno. I'd hate to show up, on a one-way ticket...and find out the bike is a crapper. That would be pretty ****ty.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

In 2007 I bought a new (left over) 2004 RM 125 for $2900 on ebay. It was a 5 hour drive to pick up, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It was new, and from a dealer, so for me it was a no brainer. Previously I bought a used and highly modified bike from a forum ad, and it also was fine. Both bikes were in the US, and I'm in Canada. For me it was key to get their phone # and talk to them. I got a good feeling both times. If I didn't, I would not have done it.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

bought my KDX200 off ebay and drove 250 miles or so to pick it up, it's fine

Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought my 2009 KLX 250s on Ebay with no issues. Ask lots of questions to the seller, see their Ebay ratings and ask for more photos of the item if you need too. Usually, you will have to put down a deposit and then pay the seller the rest of the cash when you pick up the item. If that does not work, then bring a gun....

Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Websurfing101
ask for more photos of the item
...including some household or other common item of your choosing to help prove they're real new photos and not something they snagged off someone else's ad to con people.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

today, i just used my phone to do a video demonstration of my bicycle lights because a person on ebay requested it....when you are buying a "used" item, you should be asking as many questions, and requesting pictures and videos....if the seller has nothing to hide, they should be more than happy to provide that for an internet sale...

6/1/12 NiteRider MiNewt.X2 - YouTube

for something like a motorcycle, i would even ask them to hold up a newspaper to a video camera to show the date, hold their hand on the header to show it's cold, start the engine and let it idle without choke after it warms for few minutes, twist the throttle and even show a ride demonstration....if i was a honest seller, i would definitely provide a video like this...

Last edited by ahnh666; 06-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I've bought 2 bikes (KLR and a KTM) on ebay and they were both better than described. The sellers went way out of their way to describe every little thing that could be an issue. That's just what I do when I sell a bike, so I appreciated the effort both times.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

All good advice. Sounds like some of you drove out with a trailer to pick up your purchase. That would be ideal. The reason I got to thinking about all this was I saw good deal on a KLR in Brooklyn, NY. I can back a trailer and all that, but parallel parking with one in Brooklyn... Forgeta bout it

Old 06-02-2012, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Look at the sellers feedback. I usually try to stay away from people that have less than 97 or 98% feedback. All my experiences on ebay have been great! Of course I've never bought anything like a bike or somethin, just small parts.

Quick Reply: buying a bike on eBay???