Butt Plug removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Butt Plug removal

Dear KLX Forum,

After reviewing the "free mods" on the Planet KLX website i am wondering if any of y'all have tried removing the butt plug from a 2007 KLX250s stock muffler..?

Their image of the "Butt Plug removed" looks like there is two threaded holes where the plug was originally bolted on, although on my stock muffler it appears that the 11mm diameter exhaust nozzle is welded on solid.

Any idea's or comments would be much appreciated.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I have taken a 1" hole saw and ran it down through all the baffles/sprak arrester plate and then had a friend weld in a new exhaust end from CDN Tire. repainted and it looks factory...BUT you lose your legality of off-road riding as the spark arrester is now inoperable....enter 2-bros slip-on....lol

Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Yo Mudjunkie,

I wuz thinking of using a hole saw also... hoping that 1/8" of an inch into it, that the small nozzle would just fall off and leave all the remaing hardware.

Did you try stopping short and running it, or did you just bore your way thru and call it good..?

I downloaded NeilAction's manual and indeed it shows two bolts and not the welded plate that i'm faced with.

Just layed off from work, i can't really justify a 2Bro's slip on right now and am looking for a short term solution till i can afford a full system.

Much thanks,
NorthRider

Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default The most cost effective solution I've found ...

Originally Posted by NorthRider
Yo Mudjunkie,

I wuz thinking of using a hole saw also... hoping that 1/8" of an inch into it, that the small nozzle would just fall off and leave all the remaing hardware.

Did you try stopping short and running it, or did you just bore your way thru and call it good..?

I downloaded NeilAction's manual and indeed it shows two bolts and not the welded plate that i'm faced with.

Just layed off from work, i can't really justify a 2Bro's slip on right now and am looking for a short term solution till i can afford a full system.

Much thanks,
NorthRider

It has been my experience that a factory KLX300 header + exhaust works just as well as any of the aftermarket exhausts, is slightly quieter, a few pounds lighter (than 250's exhaust) and a LOT cheaper .... can pick up for a reasonable price (or even free) from a generous fellow KLX'r who has the parts lying around after putting on a complete aftermarket system.

Aftermarket systems are over-hyped and seriously over-priced.

Last edited by LongmontKLXr; 02-10-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i still chuckle everytime i see this title

Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

+1

Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

there is probally a forum for that tho....lol ewwww

Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Nrider - the 2 screws to remove are on the 300 exhaust, not the 250

Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

If I remember correctly, the little 1/2-inch exhaust outlet pipe goes into and is welded to the second plate inside the muffler. So you'll have to drill through at least 2 plates to get rid of the little guy.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

you could cut out a hole and pull out the guts and then put a tip on with a wire mesh screen like is sold on ebay.

Quick Reply: Butt Plug removal