Broke Bolt on Oil Filter Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Default Broke Bolt on Oil Filter Cover

So I got what I deserved: I didn't use a torque wrench and I broke the bolt on the cover for the oil filter chamber as I was tightening the second bolt.

I've left the cover in place and do not know how to proceed:

1- I cannot locate the part on the Kawasaki diagram. What type of bolt do I need? Do I have to special order this from the dealership?

2- How do I get this damn bolt out? I cannot grasp it with pliers, as I do not want to risk spilling $20 worth of oil out when I remove the cover (unless the oil will stay in the bike if I lay it on its side and then remove the cover???). Will I have to drill it out and is this process safe for my bike?

Thanks for ur time

Old 11-08-2010, 04:00 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oil won't go rushing out of that cover even with the bike standing straight up. You may lose a bit, but that chamber is well above the sump and oil level. $20 worth of oil? Man!...what are you using?

With the cover out of the way, is there any piece of the stub of the broken bolt sticking out? If not you may have to use an easy-out. I prefer the "splined" type of easy outs like you can get from Snap-On and other quality tool suppliers. I hate the old school easy-outs. They seem to break off too easily.

Any replacement bolt of the right length in a 6mm X 1.00 will work. The OEM bolt has an 8mm head. It's really nothing special.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Default respect, thx

Originally Posted by TNC
With the cover out of the way, is there any piece of the stub of the broken bolt sticking out?
Thanks for the prompt/in-depth response

I will check first thing in the mornin' if a piece of the broken bolt is sticking out... (let us pray to the god of Moto's that there is) and I will try and grasp it and remove the bolt now that I know that oil will not leak out if I remove the cover.

Otherwise, I will definitely plan on trying to remove the bolt using an Easy-Out kit.

ALSO- THANK YOU FOR THE BOLT SPECS! I owe you one bruddah, that really boggled my mind... I still don't know where to find that Oil Filter cover in the schematics (what the hell section was it: Engine Cover(s), Oil Pump, Frame Fittings??)

I'll keep you all posted. Mahalo and Thanks again.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FIFTYBlingBling
1- I cannot locate the part on the Kawasaki diagram. What type of bolt do I need? Do I have to special order this from the dealership?
Kawi part # 92153-0695 BOLT,6X16

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...0034#sch441784

Go to the oil pump schematic and you will see them.

Kawisaki will probably charge you an arm and a leg, take your good one to a hardware store and I'm sure they can match it up!

Oh and as TNC says, remove the cover and try to unscrew or else it's the Easy-out kit.

Cheers,

Anthony

Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Wink

There are other ways.

First no matter what you do, get a center punch and punch the CENTER of the bolt.

Using a small Left hand drill bit, drill the bolt and chances are pretty good the drill will catch and spin the bolt right out.

You can also use a dremel tool and cut a small slot in the bolt and take it out with a screwdriver. Please do not cut a slot in your bike.

TAKE YOUR TIME don't do anything you will regret later. I take out lots of broken bolts. Usually I am not the one to break them. Sometimes I weld a nut to the broken bolt and spin it out.

Bring the bike to me.

David

Old 11-08-2010, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Those threads are loose and the bolt will not be under tension since the head popped off. Plenty of lube oil on the threads. I've walked out many bolts like this by just tapping it CCW with the tip of a screwdriver and a hammer. That broken bolt wants to come out. Broken exhaust manifold bolts, not so much.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Thumbs up Problem Solved, Whew!

Thanks so much everyone, the bolt is out.

Went out this morning and removed the oil filter cover to try and get at the broken bolt (no oil spilled, thanks TNC for assuring me).

It was just as Highbeam said:

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Those threads are loose and the bolt will not be under tension since the head popped off. Plenty of lube oil on the threads... That broken bolt wants to come out.
Although none of the bolt was protruding out to grab with pliers, just simply pressing hard against the bolt with the tip of the pliers and spinning it was enough, to get it started.

So glad I did not have to drill to get that little sucker out.

Two important lessons learned:
1. Avoid breaking bolts by using a Torque Wrench!
2. Don't spend time browsing the net for the best deals (like I did all last night) on an Easy-Out kit until you have actually tried removing the bolt with simpler methods first

Thanks for all the help guys... this situation had me worried pretty bad since the bike is my only means of transport.

Oh and TNC, the overpriced $20 oil ($10 a quart) I use is Honda Pro HP4S SAE 10W-30 I got at my Kawa-Dealer. I kept telling them the service manual said 10W-40, but the rep assured me 10W-30 was proper for the climate (I live in Hawaii). Is that right?

Thanks again

Old 11-08-2010, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Good job!

I use Valvoline 10w40 - $3.99/qt. It's just fine.

And you can also avoid breaking the delicate bolts by getting yourself a tiny socket wrench.. And when tightening just snug things up, then snug just a tad more.. You were probably using a 3/8" drive socket I'm guessing?? Too much leverage = snapped bolts...

Live and learn! I use a tiny hand wrench for any delicate bolts.

Plus you'll be hard-pressed to find a small enough torque wrench for the bolts on this bike. I think they go down to inch/lbs.. A torque wrench that precise is like $150 at the cheapest (I looked).. Not even worth it, just don't over-tighten

Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
You were probably using a 3/8" drive socket I'm guessing??
Haha, you are 100% correct.

From now on I'll be MUCH more careful tightening smaller bolts, and definitely use a smaller wrench as well.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't feel bad about skipping the torque wrench on an 8mm bolt. I don't use one either. The oil filter cover has an O-ring seal so you only need to tighten those bolts enough to keep the cover on and keep the bolts from vibrating out. I use the 1/4" drive sockets on the typical screwdriver socket driver.

Must be nice to only need a bike for daily driver duty.

Quick Reply: Broke Bolt on Oil Filter Cover